GMC Truck Forum banner

Need a Duramax/Diesel guru

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  wht06dmax 
#1 ·
I need a duramax/diesel guru to bounce ALOT of questions off. I don't want to whore up the forum so if anybody can fit the bill please shoot me a pm. I have a ton of things I need to ask you. So be ready for lots of PMs.

#5 ·
Ask Me, I'll help

#10 ·
OK here goes. try not to flame my diesel ignorance.

I just bought/traded stuff for a 93 crew cab dually with the 6.5. But it has a bum motor. I was wondering if a duramax will fit into it. I am not afraid to cut the truck at all. And I am ready for it to be hard to do. I just need to know if it will fit. My last option is always to buy a newer 6.5 and try to beef it up a bit, however I heard they just can't get any good #'s out of them. I want the truck to be as peppy as my 07 crew cab dually company truck. Money is no object either.

#12 ·
do they build good #'s? I have been interested in things like banks upgrades for a while now. so that would maybe be where i started unless you guys have better ideas

#16 ·
For the first time in my life I can say that money is no object. Plus I have some good hook ups for motors. What would you do if you were me?

#17 ·
i'd go with the duramax. its a little more expensive, but well worth it. plus the mounting shouldn't bee too difficult. my dad own's a diesel shop and he owns a durmax, and has only had minor problems with the engines (water pumps mostly) and the banks 6 gun for the duramax is sweet. look into it.

#18 ·
The problem you are going to have is getting the Duramax electronics and the allison and everything to work, probably going to be a huge pain in the ass. Your going to need a lot of stuff to make it work. Thats why a mechanical 12 valve cummins is so much easier, plus the fact that they are bulletproof once built :imo they will last for a long long time. If money is no object why not buy a truck with a duramax in it and go from there? Project truck?

edit: Banks blows donkey hole. Seriously, if you want to get into tuning your Duramax if you decide on that, then look into EFIlive. Also head over to Dieselplace.com People seem to be a little older and more knowledgeable over there. I bet they would like your idea of the swap.

#20 ·
The problem you are going to have is getting the Duramax electronics and the allison and everything to work, probably going to be a huge pain in the ass. Your going to need a lot of stuff to make it work. Thats why a mechanical 12 valve cummins is so much easier, plus the fact that they are bulletproof once built :imo they will last for a long long time. If money is no object why not buy a truck with a duramax in it and go from there? Project truck?

edit: Banks blows donkey hole. Seriously, if you want to get into tuning your Duramax if you decide on that, then look into EFIlive. Also head over to Dieselplace.com People seem to be a little older and more knowledgeable over there. I bet they would like your idea of the swap.

thanks, and yes. It is a project truck. I picked up the 93 for a steal and I really love that body. Will the cummins fit into it easily? Remember I want to build some decent hp and torque #'s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.