GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys today i purchase my first truck,and 07 sierra classic cc. well a while back i found a sticky on how to remove and paint the fac. emblem but can find it so im askin can some one point me in the rite direction.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Clean it with soap and water, then I rub alcohol on it to..Make sure it is super clean. Scuff it up with 600 grit sand paper, the nclean again. Shoot two or three coats of adhesion promoter waiting 5 - 10 min inbetween each coat. After the last coat start shooting your paint. My best tip is to take your time and try not to coat your enblem in one shot. After a couple coats wet sand with 1000 grit shoot a couple more coats, and wet sand again. Then shoot on the clear...2-3 coats should look great...BTW Congrats on the truck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
haha lol dont forget to tape off the chrome around the gmc it looks good
what color are you thinking about painting it?

·
Registered
557 Posts
This is what I did, I can get a picture tomorrow if you want.

- Remove emblem.
- Wash it with soap and water.
- Tape off the chrome, make sure you do 2 layers of tape, on my first attempt I did one layer of masking tape and the paint soaked through to the chrome.
- Wet sand (if you can) until it's fairly rough and hazy.
- Wash it with soap and water.
- Light coats of desired paint color until the color is solid enough. (10 minutes in between each coat)
- Couple coats of clear. (10 minutes in between each coat)
- Let it dry overnight.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna paint it tha same kolor of truck. and also how do i remove the emblem?and do i paint the outside r inside the GMC? thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
756 Posts
well if you just feel behind it/ the grille youll fell some tabs just push the tabs and pull on it and it will come i think theres four tabs on it so make sure you unclip them before you pull to hard its really easy and when you say paint inside or out side im not to sure what you mean by that I made mine so the the tape was tucked inbetween the chrome and the red and then i painted if i had some pic i would post but i dont sorry

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah there are four tabs behind the emblem. You do not have to take off the grill just reach your hand behind there and you should feel them. One tab is on the very left, one tab is at the bottom of the "M", and two tabs on the very right side of the "C".

You will need to paint on the outside of the emblem.

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 and mine had nuts on studs it was a size 10mm I believe maybe 11mm I forgot. But my whole emblem us chrome, one color. I'm doin a Confederate flag which is gonna be tricky but I was wondering the same thing about painting the sides and back. I think he means the edges cuz on mine you still see em when it's on the truck but you don't see the back. I'm thinking I'm either gonna take the design on out to the edges or I could paint the edges a solid color but the only 1 that wouldn't clash and look retarded us either white or red so I'm thinking take the design on out to the edge. That way it looks like the flag is wrapped around it sorta. And is 10 mins between coats enough drying time? I'll be having to tape mine off for the design so maybe a couple hours in between you think? Unless I use the heat gun my husband has but that could make the paint finish mess up idk. I'm including a pic of my baby so y'all can see my emblem before. I'll come back and add an after photo when it's done. Ain't she purdy I love her I've wanted one of these for over 20 years and I'm so ecstatic to have mine now it's so unreal still.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts