GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who sells an economicable street converter? I'm looking at an advertised stall of around 2200-2400 rpms. I don't race the truck and it is a two wheel drive so no off roading. I was looking at Oregon Performance for a HD2 shift kit and vette servo and saw where they are selling their own converters. The one I looked at advertised a stall of 2000-2600 at $184 shipped. I hear of Yank converters alot, but in my head I associate them with big time performance and a big price tag. I just don't need that much performance, more like I can't see spending that much money on my budget.

·
Low Black Beast
89 Posts
You can get a New I6 Trailblazer stall for under $200 and under $150 used, They stall about 2800 behind a 5.3. I have one in mine and its alot better over stock and pretty cheap...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
What cam did you go with? Where's the torque peak?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using advice from Brian from TBI Chips as my guide lines. I actually bought one cam that he said would not work, so I am looking at another. It is a cheap Sealed Power camshaft, here are the numbers:

2000-4500 RPM range
288/intake 298/exhaust
duration @ .050 214 intake/ 224 exhaust
valve lift is .443 intake/.465 exhaust, lobe c/l 112

As far as peak torque on this cam, I really don't know. I asked Brian about such small numbers, but he reminded me that I am running a TBI setup. He did recommend an aftermarket converter coming in above 2200rpms.

I did just drop off my tranny at a shop and he liked the idea of an HD2 shift kit and vette servo, but he also advised against going overboard with the firmness of the shift kit. He said something about replacing the plate, using kevlar bands, and a beast something or other. He did give me some advice on a converter, but it was just about the construction of the converter and not about brands or where to go to get what I need.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I am using advice from Brian from TBI Chips as my guide lines. I actually bought one cam that he said would not work, so I am looking at another. It is a cheap Sealed Power camshaft, here are the numbers:

2000-4500 RPM range
288/intake 298/exhaust
duration @ .050 214 intake/ 224 exhaust
valve lift is .443 intake/.465 exhaust, lobe c/l 112

As far as peak torque on this cam, I really don't know. I asked Brian about such small numbers, but he reminded me that I am running a TBI setup. He did recommend an aftermarket converter coming in above 2200rpms.

I did just drop off my tranny at a shop and he liked the idea of an HD2 shift kit and vette servo, but he also advised against going overboard with the firmness of the shift kit. He said something about replacing the plate, using kevlar bands, and a beast something or other. He did give me some advice on a converter, but it was just about the construction of the converter and not about brands or where to go to get what I need.

Is your trans apart at the moment?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well it's gotta be better than stock TBI cam... the stock 302 cam in my truck was TERRIBLE.

183/192 @ .050" (244/256 adv) .379"/.395 (AT THE VALVE) on a 107.5LSA :roflsquared:

ANYWAY - make sure you get a converter for a 30 spline vehicle! Early were :sam: and used 27, late (Gen III+ are 33)

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
OH yeah, no doubt. Seems a bit large for a 2200 stall lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tranny was just dropped off yesterday, so I doubt it is apart. The numbers are one of the recommended cams. Actually a little larger than what Brian said to go with, but He said it would be fine with the Dart heads. I don't really know which stall to go with, the one I glanced at was advertised 2000-2600 rpms. I don't look for this to be a powerhouse like an LS engine, just better than stock. From what I understand the stock cam really killed the TBI engine and then the heads were the next thing to go on the "thiongs to replace list".

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Tranny was just dropped off yesterday, so I doubt it is apart. The numbers are one of the recommended cams. Actually a little larger than what Brian said to go with, but He said it would be fine with the Dart heads. I don't really know which stall to go with, the one I glanced at was advertised 2000-2600 rpms. I don't look for this to be a powerhouse like an LS engine, just better than stock. From what I understand the stock cam really killed the TBI engine and then the heads were the next thing to go on the "thiongs to replace list".

2k isn't much better than stock, 2500 or more would be something noticeable.

Do as John pointed out, the old S10 stall is like the Gen III Trailblazer unit.

Make sure the trans gets the upgrades while it's apart and that the entire unit is taken apart PLUS CLEANED... plenty of places are lazy and won't take it all apart to save time. There's a shit pot full that are real cheap for it. Sprag, extra 3-4 clutch, valve body build, sep plate, new rev input drum, new band, HD sungear shell, etc, etc, etc.

Most lists are the same, comes down to the builder.

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I would seriously reconsider your cam choice. What's the truck weigh? What gear and tire are you running? How high are you wanting to rev the motor? Is Brian tuning this? Are you local to him?

take a look at thies guys . they made mine
http://www.protorque.com/
this is the one i went with for my 200r4 prob more then u need
http://www.protorque.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_10&products_id=41

I have one of their units in my tbss, and I absolutely love it. I don't think he needs to spend money on a good converter though. The s10 is good enough for his needs.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I use Protorque for odd-ball restalls too :)

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts
the best part about protorque. that its 5 mins from my house. the guy joe is cool guy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts