GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, in light of the recent thread about gears and whining I started paying a bit of attention to my truck. Also with having my exhuast redone and now way quiter and a set of tires that dont hum much at all I can sure enough hear a whining noise. Its not unbearable but it does bother me that something may go BOOM.

It gets really pronounced at the decelleration down around 40 mph or less and you can kind of hear it when i pick back up on the gas but nor as much.

Now, my dad, who was the main regaer man on the truck says to him it doesnt sound like a rear end howl and is trying to blame it on the front axle "probably" not having grease in the hubs.

Which leads me to this....how do i need to go about checking and making sure the people at Boyce did in fact packl my hubs....and should the lockouts be greased inside? I didnt know so im asking yall.

What would be the first thing yall check? Im supposed to put my detriot in pretty soon and the rear in oil is way due for a change since break-in. Help me out fellas im tired of this shit.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
idk nothin about the 14 or 60 yet... wait till marcus or mike or one of the other gear gurus sees it...

jack up the rear of the truck and put it in drive as see if you can hear it...

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
If it does it more on slowing down, i would figure it to be gears.

You mean the locking hubs? Yeah when i took mine off, they were jam packed full of grease.

If you drove even a few miles with them whinning, they are burnt. I know some are gonna say no they aren't and just reshim. But kinda hard to shim them if they are worn even a smidge out of spec.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuck! i knew it. I asked several guys around here too, wether the hubs should be packed beacuase i know for a fact that an old ten bolt front i tore into was....they all siad no they dont think they had to be. SOB!

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
man she's in the pen eatin on a mullet right now

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that aint gonna fly, cant take that bitch fishing if shes gonna be eatin my damn bait.

On another note with the gears....I got the rear end really really hot one time during break in and cooked the oil....i really hope i didnt fuck up my gears.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
If they got that hot, then they prob weren't set up right. Thats what mine did when my bearing preload was too much. Second set, quiet and never got hot.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah thats my thoughts. Ive been jumpin my ol mans ass, telling him it was too much but hell what do i know?

G

·
:word: New gears will get hot, but cooking the oil? Goddamn. The lockout hubs are NOT supposed to be fully packed with grease. Keep a light coat of grease on them.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Only one way to learn though right? I burnt my gears in 100 miles. So i know now what not to do and how to do it properly.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
:word: New gears will get hot, but cooking the oil? Goddamn. The lockout hubs are NOT supposed to be fully packed with grease. Keep a light coat of grease on them.
what he said. your pinion bearing pre load is to tight. that will fuck your coast side.(when you let off)

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
New sleeve,bearings, and prob gears. The problem is gonna be all the metal that is in there now due to having the bearing too tight.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shit...just what i need. Im seriously considering not even doing this myself anymore....just gonna pay the damn shop to do it right.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Gears are a pain in the butt. Took me so many tries and 2 gear sets and some new bearings to get it right, but I eventually did with some over the shoulder assistance.

Cost me cash, but it always costs something to learn something. Well most of the time.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
If it does it more on slowing down, i would figure it to be gears.

You mean the locking hubs? Yeah when i took mine off, they were jam packed full of grease.

If you drove even a few miles with them whinning, they are burnt. I know some are gonna say no they aren't and just reshim. But kinda hard to shim them if they are worn even a smidge out of spec.
This post is dumb and wrong.

Correct. When people say pack your hubs, they mean wheel hubs. Like pack wheel bearings.

Gears are a pain in the butt. Took me so many tries and 2 gear sets and some new bearings to get it right, but I eventually did with some over the shoulder assistance.

Cost me cash, but it always costs something to learn something. Well most of the time.
a 14 bolt has only one shim for pinion depth.

Grant if you have an issue on decelration like letting off the gas and it makes noise then ONLY you need to tighten the pinion preload up a little bit. That is a common mistake upon new gear installers. Let me know what I can do.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
what he said. your pinion bearing pre load is to tight. that will fuck your coast side.(when you let off)
No budd. If it whines on deceleration the PBPL is too loose.

You people are assuming too much. Read the gear setup FAQ and actually know how to help people. There is way too much false info in this thread.
http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
get some gears from www.performanceoffroadcenter.com if you need new ones..... they are cheap and the install kits have timken bearings... I am about to order my gears as i type this

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so if i just pull the pinion, set it up in my vice or whatever i can manage and then torque it a tad bit more i should be good?

and...when i take out he carrier and install my new carrier with the detriot, can i just count the number of turns back from my side adjusters then just tighten them right back up the same?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts