GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently need new tires, mine are nearing baldness. I have 35" Procomp Xterrains on there now and have been searching for a new set for the past month. I narrowed it down to either Toyo Open Country M/Ts, or Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs. The best deal I found was $1700 out the door for the Mickys.

On my way in today I caught an F'n spark plug of all things in one of my rear tires. Tire shop said it couldn’t be plugged/patched. So now I don’t have time to order the tires online and have to get them replaced locally, well at least the one.
sparkplug.jpg

I did some calling around and didn’t find anyone that had ANYTHING under $2200. That is until I called this one Big-O tires here in Phoenix. They are not going to carry the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw any longer and happen to have 2 of those tires in my size. Due to the discontinuation the tires would be $1450 out the door, 2 would have to be ordered, 2 could be installed today.

On to my need for advice. I do about 80% highway 20% off road. I know the M/T is not going to get nearly the mileage of the A/T, that’s a given. But I want to know if ANYONE has any experience with this exact model of tire (Mickey Thompson Baja Claw) am I wasting my money and going to have to replace them again in 20k miles? If that’s the case I minus well fork out the additional $600 and get the Toyos which I've been told I can get far more than 20k out of.

Thanks in advance guys, I have to call Big-O back within a half hour if Im going to go with the Baja Claws because in order to get them from their local warehouse they need to get them on their morning run. Thanks again!

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
my buddy has them on his diesel, the make a bunch of noise but i like them. he prolly has 10k on them, and they look brand new

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
what size baja claw?

My cousin has them on a 06 CC diesel in a 325/60/18 and they lasted 40 or 50k.

I've had mine on for 1000 miles and they look brand new still.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kumho M/T hands down IMO....I have them & love e'm. They are silent & so far I've got about 9,000 on them & look brand new.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
they are on a 6-8 week backorder, tried to get some for myself
What size did you try to get?

What size does the OP need?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting a different brand isnt really an option due to the fact that I have to get them locally. The reason I say that is because I must have called 10+ stores and had them check all brands in my size (325/65/18 * 35/13/18) and the lowest price I found was $2200. So if I want a decent deal I have to go with the Baja Claws. My question was mostly asking if they were going to wear out in 20k miles causing me to have to purchase a new set at that time. If that was the case I was going to fork over the additional $600 for a set that would last double if not more.

I understand that the Baja Claw is most definetley "over-kill" for how much I drive on/off road, but remember, I didnt seek out this make/model of tire, I just happen to come across it for a great price in my search for "anything". Thanks again for all the replies!

·
2,325 Posts
Kumho M/T hands down IMO....I have them & love e'm. They are silent & so far I've got about 9,000 on them & look brand new.
I agree with the Kumhos,great tire and I love mine. As for the silent part I wouldnt go that far, they are quiet though compared to some other tires out there though.

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what size are your X-Terrains? How many miles did you get out of them. And if they are the same size as mine, would you be willing to sell one after your new tires are installed?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Find a way to get a temporary tire, and order the tires that you actually want online. Cheaper, and you will get the tire you actually want.

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
My tires are only 305s but I got one for my spare for $20 or $25 from big-o :rofl2:
Was it used or a "hook up"?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im sure Im gonna get beat down for asking this...but as a temporary (2 day max) fix, does anyone think the hole can be plugged without removing it from the wheel? If so, please elaborate on a method. As I said, there is the threaded end of a spark plug in the tire, so the hole after I remove the sparkplug will probably be a tad smaller than some chapstick. Thanks!

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
Your tire is pretty much gone. Dont even try to plug it. It will throw the plug which can be very dangerous.
Your probably going to have to find some used tire to get you by until you buy a new one or a new set.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
i've heard the claws actually do good on the road considering how agressive they are. but i'd suggest finding a cheap spare and wait for something you want.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts