GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new here and looking forward to getting to know y'all.
I do have a question however, I'm looking at a 2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 automatic dually. What can y'all tell me about the duramax? I'm also looking at a 04 F250 4x4 automatic with a 7.3 Powerstroke. Both seem to be in great shape having 200k miles on them. I guess I'm needing advice on which would be the better motor. Bias I know, but really need a neutral advice.
Thank you all so much
Hazz

·
Registered
79 Posts
Should be able to find a ton of info on youtube .

I know there are shops that specialize in the Ford or the GM diesels .

Wyr
God bless

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do have a question however, I'm looking at a 2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 automatic dually. What can y'all tell me about the duramax? I'm also looking at a 04 F250 4x4 automatic with a 7.3 Powerstroke. Both seem to be in great shape having 200k miles on them. I guess I'm needing advice on which would be the better motor. Bias I know, but really need a neutral advice.
Thank you all so much
Hazz
I personally would want a duramax over a 7.3, The duramax has much better power along with a Allison transmission. The 7.3 is a great engine and super reliable, but the duramax is a overall better setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all so much
Hazz
I personally would want a duramax over a 7.3, The duramax has much better power along with a Allison transmission. The 7.3 is a great engine and super reliable, but the duramax is a overall better setup.

·
Narc
1,358 Posts
Is it a 7.3 or a 2004?
As far as I know the 04 fords are all 6.0, 2003 was the split year.

An 05 dmax (engine code LLY) is going to ride nicer than a ford, especially an 04 ford . 04 and older fords are leaf spring front axle trucks, duramax's have always been IFS torsion bar trucks.

LLY over 7.3 and probably 6.0 too all day. Less issues, easier to work on, and better power potential.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can’t get a 7.3 in 04. But I wouldn’t buy any Ford past a 7.3. Not sure about the early Duramax. Only dealt with a customer with a Duramax with a torn up Cp4 on a 2012 Chevy. Had to replace pump and all injectors.

Diesels are way to complex now because of all the emission restrictions. They are just not as reliable as they once were. DEF fluid and all that other crap.

·
jewish misanthropist
479 Posts
LLYs can be decent. Have some varying problems but good trucks.

Like others said, a 2004 Ford would be a 6.0L diesel not 7.3L

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pretty sure 02 was the last year of the 7.3. 6.0 is ok if you have big money to bullet proof it.

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
You could get a 7.3 up to the first quarter of 2003 after that it's a 6.0.
The lly duramax is a good platform. Some of them had head gasket issues but at 200k they've either been replaced already or it doesn't have that issue. Another issue is pins in the harness for injectors 5/7 can become loose, there is an updated pigtail and a bracket for that issue. Otherwise it's just like every other diesel, stupid expensive to maintain lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts