GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides a turbo or superchargers. I was looking into turbos and superchargers and they are a little to much for me right now. I was wondering with stock 230ish rwhp from my 00 5.3L what kinda mods could get me around 300-330 rwhp? I was thinking full exuast, e fans, stall converter, nice cam, good tune and tb with a mass air meter?

·
Bowhunter
516 Posts
You think "full exhaust, e fans, stall converter, nice cam, good tune, and tb with a mass air meter" are going to end up cheaper than a supercharger?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends where I get stuff from. I get cost on most bolt ons from a local shop. But the shop don't specialze in superchargers yet so the prices are kinda high.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Don't bother with the tb and MAF; it wont help much in your goals if at all. I've seen trucks with the 5.3 and a tr220 cam put down as much as 340 rwhp. I'd say a really good tune, full bolt-ons, exhaust with long tubes, 3000 stall converter (won't add any hp but will help with the cam), and a cam in the 220 to 224 range and you should be close.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Don't bother with the tb and MAF; it wont help much in your goals if at all. I've seen trucks with the 5.3 and a tr220 cam put down as much as 340 rwhp. I'd say a really good tune, full bolt-ons, exhaust with long tubes, 3000 stall converter (won't add any hp but will help with the cam), and a cam in the 220 to 224 range and you should be close.
yeah you won't be too far off from that at all. Cam, headers or better flowing manifolds (yes, they do exist), and less restrictive intake stuff will help a ton. A good stall to go with the cam helps to get things moving for sure.

Buying a lightly used cam is a great idea too. You can get them CHEAP. I picked up a comp 212/218 low lift (500 miles) with comp 915s (3000 miles) and chromo comp push rods (Which were BRAND new) for 400$ to my door. New cams are gonna set you back right abotu 400$. You can also use Z06 springs if need be, 60$ shipped from GMPD for the set, and as long as you don't plan on spinning it up real high, don't NEED the pushrods. Looking at 250-350$ there, a good tune if you don't already have one, another 150-400 there, manifolds/headers and exhaust work are gonna be $$$ too, but all in all, itll be cheaper than a SC...plus, if you did feel froggy, toss a SC on it with those mods and itll be a lot better than just tossing one on a stock ass motor.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
i hear about this 224 cam...i have wondered what sounds like...or maybe would i have to get a lil bit bigger one...
i'd still want to do the push rods..just because they are there..and should be dont anyways.

is there any other things like having the t/b ported...who does that? man can i pay someone to do mine for me?!?!?!

thanks.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
You think "full exhaust, e fans, stall converter, nice cam, good tune, and tb with a mass air meter" are going to end up cheaper than a supercharger?
Exhaust-$1000
Efans-$175
Converter$500
Cam/springs/pushrods-$600
Tune-$400
Underdrive Pulley-$200
Ported TB-free or pay someone $50 to do it.
--------------
$2925

Supercharger/Intercooler-$6000

Don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
:rofl2:always calling someone out:jester:
Well, I would hope that people would do the same for me(Thankfully they do because half the time I don't know what I'm talking about).
It just boggles my mind that someone would give bad advice to someone looking for info on this topic. You can hit an easy 330 with full bolt ons, cam and good tune and still be under the $3000 mark as opposed to buying a super charger for $5000 and intercooling it for another $1000.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
yeah you won't be too far off from that at all. Cam, headers or better flowing manifolds (yes, they do exist), and less restrictive intake stuff will help a ton. A good stall to go with the cam helps to get things moving for sure.

Buying a lightly used cam is a great idea too. You can get them CHEAP. I picked up a comp 212/218 low lift (500 miles) with comp 915s (3000 miles) and chromo comp push rods (Which were BRAND new) for 400$ to my door. New cams are gonna set you back right abotu 400$. You can also use Z06 springs if need be, 60$ shipped from GMPD for the set, and as long as you don't plan on spinning it up real high, don't NEED the pushrods. Looking at 250-350$ there, a good tune if you don't already have one, another 150-400 there, manifolds/headers and exhaust work are gonna be $$$ too, but all in all, itll be cheaper than a SC...plus, if you did feel froggy, toss a SC on it with those mods and itll be a lot better than just tossing one on a stock ass motor.
This man speaks the truth here's what I have into my setup so far:
Cam(224/224 comp cam .581/.581 112 lsa)-$150
Pushrods(hardened comp)-$50 brand new
Manley Valve springs-$75 3000 miles used
EFI Live-$250 used(guy didn't know what he had)
Fuddle 3200 converter- $300 used from a buddy
8.1L 31# injectors-$38 shipped on ebay(again guy didn't know what he had)

Stuff waiting to be bought-
Pacesetter headers-$450 with ypipe
Underdrive pulleys-$200
Efans- $75 for a harness and $75 for the fans.
Rebuilt transmission from local guy(good to around 400 rwhp)-900
Detroit Tru-Trac and 4.10's-$1000
TB Port-Free

$863
$1700

So when everything is all said and done, I'll have a tad over $2500 into my setup which should be good for high 13's in an extended cab. That's quite a bit cheaper than a $6000 supercharger plus another $1000 for a transmission

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes that cam is nice...but definately NOT for your application. Your truck is a lot heavier especially with those tires. I would probably go with a 216/220 at MAXIMUM. You need the torque to get your moving.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Yes that cam is nice...but definately NOT for your application. Your truck is a lot heavier especially with those tires. I would probably go with a 216/220 at MAXIMUM. You need the torque to get your moving.
There's a guy on pt.net who has a tr220/yank tt3000 stall with 36" tires I believe. He seems to like it ok.

I do agree though, it's kinda stupid to want all that power with 37" tires.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking for a cam that makes a lot of torque and bottom to mid power. I have been wanting some hp mods but I know I want them in my lifted truck. I just mainly romp around the streets now that the 38s are on and is more reliable so I wanted to get more power and upgrade motor and tranny next. I need to know what is a for sure that I need to do a cam. I have seen them done in the past and I need to know what all is needed.

·
4,725 Posts
There's a guy on pt.net who has a tr220/yank tt3000 stall with 36" tires I believe. He seems to like it ok.

I do agree though, it's kinda stupid to want all that power with 37" tires.
Seems kinda smart to me... Like you said on calling someone out.... Not only is it more necessary on a heavier/overall more energy-requiring machine, it's also going to be simply more fun. Not to even mention the power REQUIREMENTS offroad(ie. 500 hp/tq + LOW gearing JUST to make a set of tires effective). But hey, you never went into the big dog setup.

Then again, Mark here never wants to go riding...... :wtf:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Seems kinda smart to me... Like you said on calling someone out.... Not only is it more necessary on a heavier/overall more energy-requiring machine, it's also going to be simply more fun. Not to even mention the power REQUIREMENTS offroad(ie. 500 hp/tq + LOW gearing JUST to make a set of tires effective). But hey, you never went into the big dog setup.

Then again, Mark here never wants to go riding...... :wtf:
I'm not entirely sure what you're impling since it was a little tuff to read. You do realize that a cam moves your powerband up quite a bit? Most big cams like a tr220 and up don't make much power until around 3000 rpms. When you go offroading you want low end torque(unless you plan on hitting ruts doing 30 mph).
Sure everybody wants all the power they can get, but there are certain exceptions.

So now you say that "Hey Mark is a dumbass, all you have to do is buy a torque converter". Wrong. Even with 4.88 gears 5.12, etc there is still going to be a ton of torque required to move a truck with 38" tires. There for to get this said truck moving, the converter will have to stall higher before the truck gets moving. This will make driving on the street a bitch. I don't know about all of you, but I wouldn't enjoy getting 8 mpg in the city.

Since, you are so much bigger of an offroader Law(For once I'm not being sarcastic). You tell me how many times you find yourself offroading and turning your engine at 6000 rpms at the same time. Sure a tr224 big cam/big stall setup will sound nice but it won't make it's power until much higher in the powerband making the cam usless for offroading.

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
I can't speak for law but I know mine sees close to 6000 if not limiter at least a couple of times each time i'm out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yup, Random is saying what I said basically and I agree. I higher the duration, the higher up in the powerband is when the power comes.
He can definitely use a bigger cam than stock, but not to where he starts to feel it at 3k. Below that it would be even more of a dog than it is now. This will be more stress on his other parts too.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Yup, Random is saying what I said basically and I agree. I higher the duration, the higher up in the powerband is when the power comes.
He can definitely use a bigger cam than stock, but not to where he starts to feel it at 3k. Below that it would be even more of a dog than it is now. This will be more stress on his other parts too.
The man speaks the truth.

My original comment about getting a tr220 or tr224 didn't take into account his large tires. If all you want is a number(330 rwhp) then do the tr224 cam/tune/bolt ons and throw some stock rims/tires on the dyno.

For something you can actually use I'd go with something like a 212/218 cam. That is a great cam for offroad applications and you can use your stock stall. You could always upgrade to a trailblazer converter and that would make it a much more fun truck to drive.

Law I don't claim to know more about offroading then you, but i do know that the majority of the time when offroading you aren't spinning your truck above 4000 rpms. Granted yes, there will be some times where you need high rpms to acomplish something but you want low end torque not high end horsepower.

·
4,725 Posts
Please don't think I'm trying to talk down to you or any of that nonsense....

A 6.0 transplant is my next mod once I finish my SFA. My own intentions are to have a reliable engine that lopes, will confidently run 2500-3000 all day long, and be able to flat out haul ass when desired. In the lifted 4wd 4wheeler world, I've ran numerous cams from stockish band, to EXTREMELY low rpm band, to extremely high rpm band. The extreme low end's bulldozer-like power is awesome especially for an engine that doesn't put out a lot of overall power or have low low gearing.... However I believe that a 6.0 in a full size truck with tires like Mark's will have reserve power, enough reserve to not have to concentrate it all down low.
On the highway, I would expect Mr. 44's to need a good bit of power around 2250-3000 for steady highway driving. Offroad, really depends on the specific application. I personally try to use the pedal as little as possible to ensure reliability. There definately is a certain torque requirement at low rpm's, however if you're in any respectable amount of slop, you WILL be in lo range, and you'll be doing 4,000rpm's with tires spinning roughly 6mph, so you can imagine that with such a large gearing multiplication, you don't need GOBS of torque for slow crawling. However, you do still need power on tap incase the situation requires; a super-sloppy mudhole, pulling another rig uphill, having to clean out your tires quickly etc does require power above and beyond 4500rpm.
From the ramble, I would say that there is a certain power requirement, but with a good stall converter, I would hope for torque to max out around 2750, and having solid power to still be able to haul ass, doing 5000rpm, wherever you may be is still important. And for me personally, having some distinct lope always adds to the happy factor.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts