GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I have a 2002 gmc 2500hd. I recently bought the truck used about 3 months ago. Been a great truck to me, today I was driving and when turning and on uneven road it was making a clunking noise. Jacked it up and realized the upper ball joint seemed a bit sloppy and was the noise i was hearing. It has a fabtech 8 inch lift with the tubular a arms. Im having trouble finding any info on the ball joint i will need to replace the one that is bad. Any thing at the local parts house is a press in with a c clamp. The one on there is a bolt on. Does anyone have the same set up? Any info will help thanks!

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Hello folks, I have a 2002 gmc 2500hd. I recently bought the truck used about 3 months ago. Been a great truck to me, today I was driving and when turning and on uneven road it was making a clunking noise. Jacked it up and realized the upper ball joint seemed a bit sloppy and was the noise i was hearing. It has a fabtech 8 inch lift with the tubular a arms. Im having trouble finding any info on the ball joint i will need to replace the one that is bad. Any thing at the local parts house is a press in with a c clamp. The one on there is a bolt on. Does anyone have the same set up? Any info will help thanks!
Is the BJ bolted up with 4 bolts with one pair of the bolts further out, or in than the other, depending on which way your looking at them? In other words they are not bolted in a square pattern. A pic would help if possible, but I'm pretty sure I know the part numbers.

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
almost positive the ones in my link will work for you...you could probably find a better deal though

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts

Here is a pic of what im working with. Thanks for the help guys.
The best replacement is Spicer Part# 260-1313 available at NAPA. The Cognito part number is Moog K6292. The Spicer is a better Ball Joint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was searching the part # of the spicer I could only find applications for up to 99. With the tubular A arms does that throw the year of the truck out the window and now just go by what fits that A arm you have? I see the cognito part says 01-present on it. Is there a difference there?

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
When I was searching the part # of the spicer I could only find applications for up to 99. With the tubular A arms does that throw the year of the truck out the window and now just go by what fits that A arm you have? I see the cognito part says 01-present on it. Is there a difference there?

The Spicer Number is the right one. The BJ's that are used for the Fabtech and Cognito arms are made for different models of GM trucks from 88-99 and Vans up to the 2002 model year. That is probably why Spicer doesn't list anything past 1999 for the P/up's. The reason Cognito says 01 and up is because that is what vehicles their UCA's fit, not the year of OEM trucks those BJ's were made for. These BJ's were used on most of GM's trucks under 7200lb GVW. The UBJ's for the 8 lugs are slightly different, but were still a bolt on. When I got the Cognito UCA's for my truck I sold the Moogs and bought the Spicer's. You can use the Moog number as well, but I would buy Spicer suspension & steering components over Moog any day of the week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Spicer Number is the right one. The BJ's that are used for the Fabtech and Cognito arms are made for different models of GM trucks from 88-99 and Vans up to the 2002 model year. That is probably why Spicer doesn't list anything past 1999 for the P/up's. The reason Cognito says 01 and up is because that is what vehicles their UCA's fit, not the year of OEM trucks those BJ's were made for. These BJ's were used on most of GM's trucks under 7200lb GVW. The UBJ's for the 8 lugs are slightly different, but were still a bolt on. When I got the Cognito UCA's for my truck I sold the Moogs and bought the Spicer's. You can use the Moog number as well, but I would buy Spicer suspension & steering components over Moog any day of the week.
Thanks bro! I happen to have a napa in my town so it should be a fast turn around! I will let you know how they work for me! And again thanks for the help!

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Thanks bro! I happen to have a napa in my town so it should be a fast turn around! I will let you know how they work for me! And again thanks for the help!
No Problem. I forgot to mention that you can also buy the Spicer BJ's from Rock Auto. They are part number 5001062 and are only $26.00 Ea and are the same Spicer BJ's NAPA sells except they use a different number and cost less. Just another option for you to explore. Napa wants $44.00 for the same part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I go into napa today and ask about the spicer BJ. They tell me they no longer carry spicer. Said they use some other off brand. I looked on Rock auto and with shipping they came to $55 and were 4 days out for delivery. I went with the moog from summit,$33, free shipping and should be here tomorrow from reno. Would like to run the spicers but I only have the next couple of days off work to do the BJ's.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
kragen/oreilleys pricematched all my moog parts for me. just printed out my cart from rockauto and they did it without a hesitation. saved me a shitload of cash and i had the parts that day

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
So I go into napa today and ask about the spicer BJ. They tell me they no longer carry spicer. Said they use some other off brand. I looked on Rock auto and with shipping they came to $55 and were 4 days out for delivery. I went with the moog from summit,$33, free shipping and should be here tomorrow from reno. Would like to run the spicers but I only have the next couple of days off work to do the BJ's.
The guy you spoke with has his head up his ass. NAPA sells Spicer. All the Spicer parts have NCP in front of the part number. In this case you're looking for NCP260-1313. I guess I should have mentioned that. Sorry.:crazy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I went in they said they no longer carried that brand. I am gonna call a couple other napa parts stores around my area and see if this guy is givin me the run around, I wish i could remember the brand they said they sell now.

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
When I went in they said they no longer carried that brand. I am gonna call a couple other napa parts stores around my area and see if this guy is givin me the run around, I wish i could remember the brand they said they sell now.
The boxes will say NAPA Chassis, Precision Engineered on them. Ask them for the part number I gave you and see what they give you. Also, you can use the Rock Auto Part number. Rock Auto ships really fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts