GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just going to cut right to the chase -

Piston inside the caliper has a rubber gasket that holds it all together. Is this replaceable? Mine is leaking. Called all the local parts stores and they dont have this part in the computer. Does this require a new caliper?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yup, you might as well get 2 new ones, that is a square cut seal that helps pull the piston back in when you let off the brakes. Don't know of any caliper rebuild kits.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yup, you might as well get 2 new ones, that is a square cut seal that helps pull the piston back in when you let off the brakes. Don't know of any caliper rebuild kits.
most of the time rebuild kits aren't worth it IMO. You might as well go ahead and replace it, especially if it is something as minor as a caliper

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get a hold of rebuild kits for about $10. I'm in no financial position to replace both calipers, otherwise I would. In the rebuild kits, do they contain this rubber gasket thing? I couldn't find a way to even get the fucking thing off...or is it just one of those things I'll have to do a new caliper anyways.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get a hold of rebuild kits for about $10. I'm in no financial position to replace both calipers, otherwise I would. In the rebuild kits, do they contain this rubber gasket thing? I couldn't find a way to even get the fucking thing off...or is it just one of those things I'll have to do a new caliper anyways.
bump

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went and purchased a rebuild kit today for $7. I'm hoping that this will fix the issue. NO ONE could tell me what was in it due to no description on their computers but it was assumed it could fix my issue. That $7 was my lunch money for the next 3 days so hopefully it does the trick

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cow plow keeps the momentum going forward and through anything in front of it :crazy:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a pain in the ass..... Just finished it all up....I wish I could have afforded new calipers. It wasn't that it was hard, but more of time consuming and a pain in the ass. Did the caliper rebuild, new rotors, new pads, and all fresh fluid. Came to find out I have a vacuum leak on the brake booster I believe. I can get the rpms to jump if I press the brake pedal really quickly a couple times in a row. Also threw the alignment out again in the total of 2 miles I drove it tonight. Checked the torque on the cam bolt and the markings I made after I got the alignment and everything seemed to be fine there but the toe is off.....I just cant win right now :nono:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts