GMC Truck Forum banner

Need experienced input for 2WD lift recommendations

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Squat and Poot 
#1 ·
I decided on a 7" lift kit for my 2wd sierra, I think that will get me the look I want on 20x10 with 33s. I did a quick Google search as well as GMFS, and I found Fabtech and ProComp that seem to have what I'm looking for.

I need experienced input from people as to which direction is the best to go and why. I don't have many fabrication tools, so I would like to kit that has the most bolt on parts as possible. I also want the kit that will keep things simple and make it ride similar to what I'm used to. I don't like the stock suspension feel, I'm used. To cars and lowered trucks that ride stiffer and make you feel in control as opposed to the airboat stock suspension crap.

I'm open to recommendations

Thanks

John

#3 ·
FTS 7" is your best bet. Great quality and price. From experience, and also from a lot of people from here. Everyone raves about FTS and that's why I went with that. No regrets, I love my kit. Don't expect a stiff ride with a lifted truck though. But it is also definitely NOT like a boat or have wobble. My truck rides the same way as if it were stock height, and I'm 12" lifted.

#5 ·
Fabtech 6" kit on mine and I'm very happy with it. The kit was very high quality and had very good instructions to help get threw the install. I installed mine on my own using nothing but hand tools in two days and having no prior experience installing a lift kit. The only cutting I had to do on the truck was the rear wheel studs in order to fit my 1.5" spacers to even out the front and rear track width. I also installed with it bilstein 7-9's up front with rough country uca's and bilstein 5100's in the rear and have no complaints with how it handles.

#6 ·
Fabtech 6" kit on mine and I'm very happy with it. The kit was very high quality and had very good instructions to help get threw the install. I installed mine on my own using nothing but hand tools in two days and having no prior experience installing a lift kit. The only cutting I had to do on the truck was the rear wheel studs in order to fit my 1.5" spacers to even out the front and rear track width. I also installed with it bilstein 7-9's up front with rough country uca's and bilstein 5100's in the rear and have no complaints with how it handles.
Did you even read the first post? OP does not have the same truck as you

#7 ·
i liked my 7" procomp. No issues. Only required wrenches and a drill.

If i did it again which I wouldnt. it'd be a taller kit. 7" isnt much on the 2wds.
Also who do you work for in Austin? I build for Village Builders in Houston.

#8 ·
i liked my 7" procomp. No issues. Only required wrenches and a drill.

If i did it again which I wouldnt. it'd be a taller kit. 7" isnt much on the 2wds.
Also who do you work for in Austin? I build for Village Builders in Houston.
Company called MHI out of Houston, but we build Wilshire and Coventry homes

I figured I can get a 1.5" body lift if I don't like it, but I only want 33s so I think that 7" is plenty for the look I want

#10 ·
you going to daily this at work?

id just lower the rear 2"
I drove 80mi today to, during, and from work and got 17.xxmpg even with idling for extended periods
Yeah and I drive about 60miles a day for this job. I don't like to do things in small steps, if I'm going to lower it, I want to slam it... I figure having a truck like the picture above will be perfect for me since I do hop curbs occasionally.

I've pretty much decided on the ProComp 7" kit with coils and spindles up front and I'm going to get a 3" block for the rear instead of the 4.5" one in the kit. Probably get bilstein shocks and call it a day

John

#11 ·
the procomp is a full drop kit right? so you could add the spindle lift for more height if needed?

i ran 20x10's and 33's on my tahoe with just a 3" body lift and a little torsion crank. so you'd be 100% safe with 7" of lift and same wheel/tire setup. add the spindles and you'll be set.

also, i'd advise keeping the angles flat. personally i believe these nbs trucks start to ride like shit when angles are less than ideal. which is expected.

#12 ·
the procomp is a full drop kit right? so you could add the spindle lift for more height if needed?

i ran 20x10's and 33's on my tahoe with just a 3" body lift and a little torsion crank. so you'd be 100% safe with 7" of lift and same wheel/tire setup. add the spindles and you'll be set.

also, i'd advise keeping the angles flat. personally i believe these nbs trucks start to ride like shit when angles are less than ideal. which is expected.
Yeah this kit has the LCA drop. It has springs and spindles on the one I'm looking at. If I ever need more lift I can do a 1.5" bodylift. I think I'll be happy with it, and I just went through the instructions and it's basically bolt on...

The white truck I posted at the top has the ProComp 7" kit and a 3" rear block. I PMed him after I made this thread and got the low-down on his setup.

Now I just need to figure out the offset of his wheels. He could not remember and they apparently don't make them anymore

John

#18 ·
Do any 2wd kits drop the UCAs? That seems better if they both drop and keep stock angles, am I right?
bigger kits do yes, the stock angles are retained by longer spindles. look up Zero's old truck I think. Someone on ehre had a 2wd on a big cognito kit then converted it to coilovers. KKelley took his idea, then I bought KKelley's setup

#19 ·
ive had a ton of different setups on 2 different nbs 2wd trucks, i prefer the fabtech 7" over the procomp kit, the metal seems thinner and i dont care for the cheap looking pebbled powdercoat on the procomp.
this was just a 7" fabtech on 20x10 ultra predators and 305 nitto trails

than i added the 1.5" zone to it

#21 ·
Beautiful trucks man, I did like the fabtech kit, I just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money or not. did you use the block that came with the kit? I think 1"-1.5" of cali is what I want, so if it comes with a 4.5" block I think a 3" block would be better for me

Now onto shocks... First question is does fabtech allow you to customize the order and get new shocks or do you have to buy them separately and try to recoup some money by selling whatever shocks it comes with?

John

#22 ·
I have the Pro Comp 7" with a 1" Daystar coil spacer, and 4" blocks in the rear. It rides good with the Pro Comp Mx9 adjustable shocks. It's on 35" BFG A/T's which are really like 34's. There are days that I think about swapping it out for the CST 7" and adding coilovers kit to get rid of the drop crossmember.

#24 ·
Great information, but at this point I'm leaning towards getting an LBZ duramax. I've always wanted one and instead of wasting money on this 2wd I may as well do it right.... Now to find the right truck and sell my evo, last thing I need is 2 trucks and a car haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.