GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here, but this looks to be an incredible forum!!!

Anyways, for the fall before school starts I need to get a new car, and my dad has a 2000 gmc sierra w/ 4.8L and I LOVE it. So, I think I want to get a Sierra. However, I can't get one as nice as his (too much $$$)

So, I was thinking, GMC sierra, 2WD, regular cab, regular bed. Would you get the 4.3 or 4.8???

Also, what color do you like??? I am in love with black...

THanks, Michael

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
I would get the 4.8 because it's a v8. If you live in a rural area don't get black or any dark color unless you want to constantly be cleaning it. I would get arivial blue, white, or silver

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
Yeh i would deff get the 4.8 too just beacuse it is a V8. I like black, even though its hard to clean, jsut gives you somethin to do when you are bored. :crazy:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zubyc said:
I would get the 4.8 because it's a v8. If you live in a rural area don't get black or any dark color unless you want to constantly be cleaning it. I would get arivial blue, white, or silver
actually, I live in a city. But, anyways, I know the obvious answer is get the v8 becuase it's a v8, but is the 4.8 really worth the extra cash over the v6? It's only offering what, 30 more foot lb of tq??? I would like to have the 4.8, but I don't know if I can justify the money for it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also I have to keep this truck for about the next 6-7 years...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
All three of the vortec motors offered in the half tons are great motors, and each get about the same mileage too. (i know 5.3 and 4.3 get the same atleast) Its all about what you need. Do you ever tow anything heavy?? and if you had to, do u think your dad would let you use his truck if u had a V6? Do you just wanna have a dependable truck to run you around or do you wanna have sometime fairly quick with a good bit of power for stock?? do you eventually wanna mod the motor?? I love havin a good ol 350 in my truck...cuz its fun to say you have a V8...have i ever needed a motor that big, only a couple of times...but if you wanna keep ur truck on the street or whatever, a V6 is still plenty...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RedneckDude said:
All three of the vortec motors offered in the half tons are great motors, and each get about the same mileage too. (i know 5.3 and 4.3 get the same atleast) Its all about what you need. Do you ever tow anything heavy?? and if you had to, do u think your dad would let you use his truck if u had a V6? Do you just wanna have a dependable truck to run you around or do you wanna have sometime fairly quick with a good bit of power for stock?? do you eventually wanna mod the motor?? I love havin a good ol 350 in my truck...cuz its fun to say you have a V8...have i ever needed a motor that big, only a couple of times...but if you wanna keep ur truck on the street or whatever, a V6 is still plenty...
yea that really puts it in perspective for me. My dad would always let me borrow his truck if I ever needed to tow anything. In reality I know the v6 is all I need, but I dearly want that v8 :whip:

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
the 4.3 is great in a ZR2 but should have never been offered in a fullsize. black is a bitch to take care of, btw.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just get the V-8 hell your planning on keeping the truck for a long time, you will thank yourself later. I have both a v-6 and v-8, and I love my V-8 hands down.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I have been reading a LOT of the internet about the piston slap in the GM engines and I know my dad's 2000 sierra 4.8 has it, and now I am very worried about buying a GM, especially because GM denies the problem! WTF?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
GM knows it has a problem with the PS...everyone knows it...Dealers just don't wanna deal with it...its no big deal and isnt' gonna hurt anything...i wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RedneckDude said:
GM knows it has a problem with the PS...everyone knows it...Dealers just don't wanna deal with it...its no big deal and isnt' gonna hurt anything...i wouldn't be too worried about it.
how can you sit there and say it's no big deal???? I need a truck that will go 150k and not burn up huge amounts of oil (which an engine with PS will do over time). Not to mention the fact, that GM wants me to pay $20,000 for a defective engine... :crazy:

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
RedneckDude said:
it's a big deal for the person selling it when their truck isn't worth anything because you can hear the cold start knock 1/2 mile away. if you buy a used CSK lemon, you're SOL on getting anything done about it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
GMCtrk said:
how can you sit there and say it's no big deal???? I need a truck that will go 150k and not burn up huge amounts of oil (which an engine with PS will do over time). Not to mention the fact, that GM wants me to pay $20,000 for a defective engine... :crazy:
If you're that concerned about it, get an OBS truck with either the 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7. My '94 has 163,000 miles on it, burns no oil, and shows no sign of slowing down. You won't have a warranty, and may not be sure about its history though, but it won't cost near as much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
buying a used truck is not an option, and neither is buying a Ford or Dodge.

I want a GM. I just pray that GM has fixed this piston slap in the 2004 models

1 - 20 of 35 Posts