GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let me start by saying that I have the carpentry skills, resources, and materials to build whatever I want or need. I am also good with numbers, but I don’t fully understand how the port design works which is why I need help. I have done some reading and have a grasp on it, but don’t want to go wasting a bunch of time on something that I could’ve just had someone help me with in the beginning.

My current box was created by taking a prefab dual downfire box, cutting it in half, and sealing the end (and the reason I chose to do this is because all of the single sub prefab boxes are for the driver side and I wanted it on the passenger side). I HAD a Fosgate P1 that sounded pretty decent and it decided to take a dump on me so a friend talked me into a Memphis sub and absolutely hate the sound. It’s a very high, “bass drum” type bass, and I am looking to get some low “rap music” type bass (which I’m hoping the ported box will give me).

So my current setup is one Memphis PR10D4 in a single sealed downfire box under the passenger rear seat pushed by a Kenwood KAC-7252 amp that should be pushing 250W. What I am wanting to build (and I really WANT to build it myself) is a ported box for this same sub that goes under the seat on the passenger side that will wake this sub up and show what its capable of.

I understand the airspace and displacement, but what I don’t understand is the actual size and location of the port itself, or the frequency that it needs to be tuned to, which is why I need help designing the box. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max dimensions would help.
sorry, i was trying to include all helpful information with as little rambling as possible
-6.5" tall in the front
-3.5" tall in the rear
-15.75" deep (from front to rear)
obviously the length of the box can be adjusted per the airspace. it will start at the passenger door and run as far towards the driver side as needed.
-the current box has a protrusion for the magnet. it measures 9.25" x 8.25" x 1.125" deep

·
Registered
112 Posts
What you might want to think about is placing the sub on the driver side and having the port on the passenger side. There would be less tendency to hear port noise if there where any. Another thing that would help is to raise the rear seat 2" or so just for the fact that you really need around 2" of clearance between the subwoofer and the floor.

These trucks are pretty easy to build a box for. I have to 2 sundown sa10's under the rear seat of mine in a ported box.

Figure out what frequency they suggest the sub be tuned to and then use the calculators on www.the12volt.com for help.

On a side note. I see that your in Meridian. Is your ss silver by any chance?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you might want to think about is placing the sub on the driver side and having the port on the passenger side. There would be less tendency to hear port noise if there where any. Another thing that would help is to raise the rear seat 2" or so just for the fact that you really need around 2" of clearance between the subwoofer and the floor.

These trucks are pretty easy to build a box for. I have to 2 sundown sa10's under the rear seat of mine in a ported box.

Figure out what frequency they suggest the sub be tuned to and then use the calculators on www.the12volt.com for help.

On a side note. I see that your in Meridian. Is your ss silver by any chance?
the box that is in there now is downfiring and has about that much space between the sub and the floor. so what i had in mind was just building another box very similar in shape, but longer of course, to accommodate for port area (i'm not beyond raising the seat tho to get some extra clearance). my main issue is, i don't know how big, how long, or where to physically place the port, or if i should do a "slot" out of wood or a "tube" out of pvc. i'm going to call memphis and see what they frequency they recommend.

no, mine is black. are you thinking of swanner? his is a pewter turbo car. he and kyle over at Speed Productions in Florence are real tight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the box that is in there now is downfiring and has about that much space between the sub and the floor. so what i had in mind was just building another box very similar in shape, but longer of course, to accommodate for port area (i'm not beyond raising the seat tho to get some extra clearance). my main issue is, i don't know how big, how long, or where to physically place the port, or if i should do a "slot" out of wood or a "tube" out of pvc. i'm going to call memphis and see what they frequency they recommend.

no, mine is black. are you thinking of swanner? his is a pewter turbo car. he and kyle over at Speed Productions in Florence are real tight.
You can do a slot or round port. A round port out of pvc would be the easiest. I would not go any smaller then 3".The only down side is that you dont have alot port area. Port placement has alot to do layout as far as getting it to fit.You dont necessarilywant the port facing forward just for the potential of there being port noise. Probably one of the easier ways to run it is along the back wall of the box and fire it out of the side. That way you have a straight port with no bends.

I have both of my 10's behind the driver seat and a slot polrt that fires against the passenger rear door.

I know Swanner and Kyle. I was just making sure that was not you:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably one of the easier ways to run it is along the back wall of the box and fire it out of the side.
this is what i had in mind, but i don't know how big or how long to make it.

That way you have a straight port with no bends.
is there a benefit to this? because i see other ppl with "L" shaped ports.

Could you post a pic of your box when you get a sec? Or send it to me? Sounds pretty cool

·
can't lose on 22z
1,442 Posts
you could buy one of my ported boxes... have 1 for 4 8s and 1 for 2 10s

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Okay, let me start by saying that I have the carpentry skills, resources, and materials to build whatever I want or need. I am also good with numbers, but I don’t fully understand how the port design works which is why I need help. I have done some reading and have a grasp on it, but don’t want to go wasting a bunch of time on something that I could’ve just had someone help me with in the beginning.

My current box was created by taking a prefab dual downfire box, cutting it in half, and sealing the end (and the reason I chose to do this is because all of the single sub prefab boxes are for the driver side and I wanted it on the passenger side). I HAD a Fosgate P1 that sounded pretty decent and it decided to take a dump on me so a friend talked me into a Memphis sub and absolutely hate the sound. It’s a very high, “bass drum” type bass, and I am looking to get some low “rap music” type bass (which I’m hoping the ported box will give me).

So my current setup is one Memphis PR10D4 in a single sealed downfire box under the passenger rear seat pushed by a Kenwood KAC-7252 amp that should be pushing 250W. What I am wanting to build (and I really WANT to build it myself) is a ported box for this same sub that goes under the seat on the passenger side that will wake this sub up and show what its capable of.

I understand the airspace and displacement, but what I don’t understand is the actual size and location of the port itself, or the frequency that it needs to be tuned to, which is why I need help designing the box. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?
While the box will change how it sounds, consider the sub too. IIRC that sub wants a big box, be it sealed or ported, so there is only so much you can do. Ported may make it better, but I really think you're best result for the sound you want will be found in another sub.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While the box will change how it sounds, consider the sub too. IIRC that sub wants a big box, be it sealed or ported, so there is only so much you can do. Ported may make it better, but I really think you're best result for the sound you want will be found in another sub.
for no more than i will have in it, i'm atleast going to build me a box just for peace of mind lol. BUT i like your idea of another sub. i would like to stay with a single 10 or 12 on the passenger side. What would you consider to be a few of my best options?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts