GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the book below..

Ok, so a bit of a backstory here. A month or so ago, I purchased my first truck. a 95 gmc K1500 5.7 tbi with 200k on it. great shape. from the original owner. The thing ran awesome, no leaks or anything. Even the original 4L60E. Fast forward a week and a half. A thief/thieves came to our house, stole it as well as other things. first theft in 8 years..

Located it the next morning using social media, while the police were filing the report. Picked it up, thieves blew motor, and transmission. massive rod knock. opted to repair it as I had already fallen in love with it as my first car. Got a motor from a dismantler with an estimated 30k on it, and a rebuilt tranny. replaced little things here and there, knock sensor, and the like. got it completely back together this evening. cranked, and it fired up pretty quickly.

Awesome I thought. aside from not having used a timing light yet, it was running great. Ok. perfect. Kick on the AC for a test, and it killed the engine. this is the key issue needing to be addressed. Restarted car with AC off, gave it a little gas and switched it on again. seemed fine. ok. AC clutch switches on and off a couple times, bam it stalls again. ok now this is strange. tried it a couple more times, with basically the same results. I am at a loss as to what to do. I will just go through what I think could be an issue, but I would really like some advice on this.

Keep in mind I am only 17, and did most of this swap single handedly. Never worked on a car before. I am mechanically inclined towards small engines, but it would seem with this AC issue that I am not as good at a car.

I would really love to get this sorted as I LOVE this truck, from just the short time of driving it. Unfortunatly, this is all out of my pocket as I have just liability and has eaten into a lot of money I never planned to spend. Thats life I guess. sucks its on a first car.

From googling, it would seem the TBI may need to bwe cleaned, but I can't find much stuff to back that so I was wanting to make sure.

I can tell the timing isn't spot on where it should be as it sounds like a hotrod right now. haha. I will be renting a Timing Light tomorrow to time it fully, but I don't know if that could be purely timing.

side note, this new motor holds almost twice the oil pressure as the old one, REALLY happy with it so far besides the AC. I have not driven it yet, so I am not sure if its anything besides AC that can cause it.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
"Sounds like a hotrod", as in missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir. sounds like advanced timing. A more accurate description would be Throaty I think. kind of like a relatives 66 mustang..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Timing could definitely be an issue.

I would attempt to drive around the block or so and see if it stalls or has noticeable lower power then the other engine.

Is the AC compressor the same one on truck before the engine replacement? Is it about seized? I've seen AC compressors about locked where they kill the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ac compressor was replaced I believe a year before I purchased the truck. it was very smooth when turning when the belt was off. And it did not give any hint of seizing with the last engine, which was a much more tired engine.

the main question is can JUST timing cause this issue? I will set timing shortly, but just curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts