GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas I need help on this:

I have a tailgate handle I want to replace with a nice new color matched one, but "they" Line-Xed over the three set screws, what should I do?

And no, painting it how it is now is not an option, as you can see its leaning and I am not going down to the body shop for such a minor job.

Any ideas are appreciated...thanks

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Can you take a razor knife and cut around the head of the bolt and then dig the line-x out of the head? ive never dealt with it, is it so tough you couldnt cut it??

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bcubed said:
Can you take a razor knife and cut around the head of the bolt and then dig the line-x out of the head? ive never dealt with it, is it so tough you couldnt cut it??

Its pretty tough, I dont think that would work but I'm gonna mess around with it when I get the color-matched handles in and see what happens.

I wish there was something I could use to desolve the Line-X...

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
OldSkoolChevy95 said:
Its pretty tough, I dont think that would work but I'm gonna mess around with it when I get the color-matched handles in and see what happens.

I wish there was something I could use to desolve the Line-X...
Then like the other guy said, use a dremel .. it should clean the bolts up.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i think to get line-x off a truck they sand blast it... but that prbly won't work in ur case

·
Registered
639 Posts
WHERE IN HELL did you get LINE-X? Are they fucking newbies?? When I dropped off my truck to line-x shop in san jose, they told me they were going to remove my tailgate handle so that if I ever wanted or needed to replace it I could. Below are some pictures of my Line-X install.

If I was you I would show these pictures to your line-x install shop, and ask them to make it right for you. It just sounds to me that they did a poor job, and not too professional. Good luck buddy! :D

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
i think to get line-x off a truck they sand blast it... but that prbly won't work in ur case
If a dremel with the right bit will eat through metal, I'm sure it will grind off the line-x

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHERE IN HELL did you get LINE-X?
Whoa man, don't get so excited! The truck was bought with the Line-X already on it and I have no idea where/what shop they went to.

The truck was bought two years ago at a dealership and so I never talked to the owner/s in the first place to find out any info like that.

Also, the Line-X appears to be about 5-6 years old (truck is a '95) and so this would have been before everyone was driving around in big trucks all crazy strictly for pleasure use, etc.

Besides, I think the original owners were old farts (low mileage) and they would never do any color-matching handles/shaved handles in a million years!

I'll figure something out and I will post up pics of the new handles/mirrors after they are on the truck...how long this will be I have no idea becuase I haven't even started to look where to buy them at.

Expect a "Where do I get OBS color-matched handles" thread in a few....

BTW, on a side note, my pics are hosted on PhotoBucket.com but they arent showing up on my screen anymore, are you guys able to still see 'em?

·
Its in the works...
356 Posts
Use a dremel, and air drill, or a heat gun. Heat gun is the last resort. Yea it works but may fcuk up the area around the bolts.. but linex is lifetime so get the bolts out, go back and make them fix it how they should have done it in the first place. that was shady of them not to pull them out for you to start with.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
you can cut the line-x with a razor. i had to mount a bracket in my truck bed for my tonnu and i had to cut away some of my liner. so, you can do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts