GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well to start things off I 'm new to this form and i look foward to any help that you guys can give me.

Im looking for a 6 inch or 7 inch lift for a 03 2wd silverado ext cab.
I've been looking at the fabtech kits since i can get it at a discount, but every one suggests that i should go with rcd, which one is better? i've also been looking at the cst long travel kit with the king coilover but i realy dont want to put on the fibber glass fenders on and i was told that it is a must even with a 33" tire rather then 35". so would i need to use the glass fenders or can i get away with out them on the cst kit?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
You use the glass fenders because the track width is increased with the long travel kit. The fabtech lift is ok, RCD is good, CST is VERY nice. What do you plan on using the truck for? The longtravel is all about high speed offroad.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
RCD and Fabtech are nice. But if I had a NBS 2wd I would run the Reg. CST (not the long-travel).
The kit Aberbaseball7 runs on hit 2wd. It is a VERY nice kit.

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
like DE said it really comes down to what you are gonna be using it for. the cst kit is pretty bad ass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mostly the lift is for 50% looks & 50% play. The reason I was thinking about the CST long travel kit is cause I want reservoir shocks rather then the normal ones. When I went to the lift shop outlaw off road, they said that I could use reservoir with the RCD kit (forgot to ask about the Fabtech kit). They also said that they are going to have to fabricate and new shock mounts for the reservoir and they would be put in the springs. They also said that they to have to cut the top of some thing off and do some other things as well. that is all I can remember the rest went in one ear and out the other. They also quoted a price of $3,000 for this kit. What do you guys think about this or should I go with the CST long travel kit. I know it is going to cost more money and there is also going to be cutting and welding involved. Now keep in mind that I only want to do this once. I don’t want to keep up grading since in the long run that will cost too much money, I made that mistake once before with my old cars stereo so I want it done right the first time.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
you can run res shocks with any lift, and if they are charging you more to do it that is BS. Also why do you want resi shocks? They for looks? The only time you NEED them is if you do lots of high speed desert racing or something.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
You can put reservoir shocks on any lift kit. If it really is 50/50, i say just go for the CST long travel. Since you are willing to put down the cash you won't be let down by it

·
Registered
37 Posts
id run the camburg over the CST - both cost the same and the camburg kit is a better design.

EDIT... or actually the camburg kit costs LESS if outlaw wants 3k for the CST installed. camburg is 2k installed for the 6.5" kit.

id get the camburg long travel over the CST long travel too... but if its 50/50 looks/performance... go for the 6.5" camburg. great kit for the $. but if you have the 8k or so for the dope long travel... by all means... charge that

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
the camburg kit should work fine for you if you are only gonna be doing minimum off-roading. res shocks are gonna be way over kill if you don't really need them. good res shocks are gonna cost about 200 apiece plus fabbing up the new hoop, and cutting off the top of the upper control arm. the price is almost gonna double

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
if you want strength and good looks the CST is your best bet. Prob one of the best long travel kits out.

·
Cross Into the Blue
356 Posts
i just bought the CST longtravel coilover kit. Ive had the CST long travel coil bucket kit on for the past two years. Ive loved it, but Im definately ready to go with coilovers for many reasons. Hidsight 20/20, i wouldve gone with the coilover setup from the get go and saved the trouble. The camburg longtravel kit is BITCHIN, but its costs like twice as mich as the CST and i think they will only install it in-house. if your gonna shell out the bucks for a cst or camburg 2wd kit, and you want resi-shocks or coilovers, and want to do any offroading, get the longtravel, you wont be disapointed. the fenders while a pain to install arent a big deal and look killer! dont get an rcd kit and have them put coilovers on there with a custom hoop that is retarded, and isnt gonna do much for you other than waste your money. go with the longtravel!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts