GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to figure out if i should bring my truck some were to get detailed or attepmpt to do it my self. i know how do clay bar and wax but am just unsure about polishing i have some scrathes i need out.

so basicaly sould i

pay some one for

a full detail

do it my self by hand and what would i need

thanks

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
if you need to get the scratches out, its probably not going to happen by hand.
With the money you save from paying someone, you could always buy a pc, pads and polish. Then you have it for future use and can even do some friends cars for cash to recoupe the money. If you pick up a pc from toolup.com or another site, I can set you up w/ a good deal on pad/polish kit. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only thing with a pc im afraid of ruining my paint. is it really hard to do?

·
OG
1,498 Posts
A PC is almost impossible to burn the paint. I've been using mine for over a year now and love it. I was a total newb when it came to claying/polishing, but I've become pretty good with it. I would highly recommend investing in a PC polisher. It really comes in handy for future uses. If you ever get a tiny scratch, you can just bust it out and get rid of it in no time.

I got my PC for Christmas '05 from my Dad and it came in a package from Meguiars.com

I'm not sure if they still have it, but the package was their Nxt collection with various polishes, waxes, microfiber towels, pads, etc. I believe the package was like $245, but well worth it for what I got.

Here's a link to the PC alone:

http://meguiars.com/?pro-car-detailing-accessories/Electric-Dual-Action-Polisher

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
nah. Its actually very easy to use. Very hard to burn through your paint w/ 6" pads. You'd have to try to do it almost.

If you pick up a pc for under 120 shipped, I can probably get you pads, 2 polishes, a glaze and wax and keep your total under 100 bux shipped. That of course depends what you decide on, but I dont see it being a problem :) For for about 225 bux you'd have a pc and product to last you a while.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i appreciate your help. just a few more questions like i said i know how to do the first steps up to clay baring but when it come to the polishing what with the different pads how do i know which ones and when to use them. and what brands do u sugest and what do u think is better sealer or wax or both.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
As far as brands, I'm completely confident in everything I carry. A lot of guys have used the stuff on my site and I still havent heard one complaint. I think you'd be very happy w/ any of the brands I have. I can set you up w/ everything you need as well as the order to use them in. Now,... Going off my site, you would want to use an orange pad w/ polishes such as ssr 2.5, optimum compound (hyper compound), etc. Next, you want to move to a lighter polish such as ssr1 or opt. polish on a white pad. From there, you can glaze, seal or wax. Sealants last longer and have a much "slicker" feeling. Carnubas dont last as long but have a deeper, wetter look to them. Thats a personal preference on your part.
Hope this helps a little. Let me know if I can clarify anything :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The PC is really easy to use...The main thing to remember is in order for an abrasive polish to work properly, you need to break it down completely.

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com covers the steps on how to detail your truck...plus it has videos and pictures on how to use a Porter Cable.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i feel a little more coffident. i when i ready to buy i will come to u for the stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts