GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some 03+ tails from ebay and they are not as pretty as stated. Any hints on getting rid of some of the scratches? I only have the black&decker polisher (the cheap one) so let me know what I can do to get rid of these. Thanks

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
you can try some of that meguiars plast-x polish, but if there pretty bad, id recommend wetsanding them with 1000 grit and then polishing them back to a shine

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have a 3" cordless drill backing plate on the site. Combine that w/ a 4" pad set (orange, white, blk) and have at it w/ some ssr2.5 and ssr1. Finish off w/ exp to seal em up :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I'll check it out and most likely buy that (will it work on cleaning up headlights too?)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got some 03+ tails from ebay and they are not as pretty as stated. Any hints on getting rid of some of the scratches? I only have the black&decker polisher (the cheap one) so let me know what I can do to get rid of these. Thanks
How deep is the scratch? If it's too deep you might need to wetsand then polish. As far as what polish to use..I've had great results with paint polish (like Chris @ GGD said), metal polish and plastic polish. Keep in mind with polishing plastic is not to generate too much heat, too much heat can cause the plastic to cloud.

Here is some headlight I cleaned up using Poorboys SSR2.5

Here is side by side -done by hand with SSR2.5 and terry applicator:

Here is before and after with Porter Cable - polishing pad/SSR2.5

before

after

before

after

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Damn what a difference!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work. I really need to get a Porter Cable. I'll probably order the SSR stuff when I get paid next week and try that with the small polishing pad for my drill (low speed of course) and see what happens. I have some older lenses for my motorcycle lying around that I could practice on (simulate the depth of the scratch and go from there).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Jason, I think you'll be very happy w/ the results of using the cordless drill and 4" pads on your lenses. You'd be surprised at what you can correct w/ that setup and the ssr line :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts