GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided to put in my amp that I have had laying around for about a year.... I decided to try and do it myself, even though I have next to no electrical knowledge at all. But the best way to learn is first hand right!? Low and behold I screwed up haha.

Anyways, the amp is installed now and I only hooked it up to one speaker so far just to see if I did it right. Apparently I didn't.

The problem is, I have to turn up the volume on my deck all the way just to hear anything out of the speaker, and when I do finally hear some noise coming out of the speaker, it is all muffled. Anybody know what I may have done wrong?

I'll tell you how I routed the wires if it helps:

-BAttery cable run along drivers side of vehicle
-Ground wired to bolt underneath passenger seat that screws into the truck's body.
-RCA, speaker wire, and power cable (from head unit to amp) all run along passenger side of vehicle.

Thanks guys!

PS: Do I leave the speakers wired up to the deck as well or just the amp? (I told you I know nothing!)

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
remote wire? Give me a call and i can look at it for you if you cant figure it out. 780-242-7202. There should be a high and low pass filter on the amp.

You dont need to have the speakers wired to the deck. Just the amp.

EDIT: nvm about the remote wire i just reread your thread.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
if you have a multi meter test to see if you are getting any output on it.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
sounds like a wrong crossover point and change that ground. Going to a bolt like that is asking for trouble

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, ill try all again that today, although I already tried adjusting the dials on the amp, and I checked the RCA's. Ill try it all again though. Why is grounding to a bolt like that asking for trouble? Where else should I ground to?

Spanky, I haven't been on here in ages... your truck looks sick... im glad to see you went ahead with lowering it.. instead of being one the 70,000 people here with a lifted ride! I'll give ya a ring if I still can't figure this amp stuff out haha

·
9,823 Posts
its not just a knob, its a switch
subs need it on LPF
highs on HPF

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so here's the switches and knobs on it...

lsf switch, Line out filter switch, lpf frequency know, input sensitity knob.

Ive tried messing around with all of them to no avail.

·
9,823 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts