GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm a new member to the site and this is my first post. I've searched the site and google itself but have not found any solid answers to my questions. I dont know a whole lot about shocks so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions.

Issue #1 - I am in need of new front shocks on my truck. I bought my truck (a 2004 Silverado 1500) already lifted. The lift kit has no markings or any sign of a brand anywhere. After doing days of googling, I am 75% sure that it is a superlift K364 and of course, this is an old, discontinued kit. It is a kit with dual front shocks with hoops, etc so the shocks have eyelets on top and bottom. I believe it is a 6.5-7.5" lift. I have no idea what size shock I need. (Extended length, compressed, etc.

Issue #2 - the front shocks that are on there now are loose in a way despite the bolts being tight. They are Rancho rs5000. You can rotate/ shake them as if the bearings in the shocks are shot. From what I remember, when I had these installed, they were like this from the start. I just thought it was normal for them to have a bit of play but they rattle and make noise when they move. This being said, I don't know if some how these are supposed to be rear shocks, just different shocks have different hole diameters and mine are not correct, or the shop (that I dont go to anymore for various reasons) sold me some trashed shocks.

Question #3 - Does the fact that there are 4 shocks in the front instead of two have an effect on stiffness; do I need to find shocks with more travel? I have not found anywhere that just says "you have a 6 inch lift on this certain vehicle so you can use this certain size shock with this certain travel length" The shocks that I have on now measure out to about 18-18.5 inches center of bearing to center of bearing just as they sit on the truck, not removed if that helps anything.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I appreciate any help anyone can give me!

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
Remove your shock, measure the compressed length, and the fully extended length. then just buy what every shock meets those specs.

And your bushings are probably worn.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You should also make sure to buy shocks that are valved to be run in a dual setup otherwise your ride could suffer

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Remove your shock, measure the compressed length, and the fully extended length. then just buy what every shock meets those specs.

And your bushings are probably worn.
Can you just compress them by hand or is there a different method that you suggest? Thanks the the reply

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I read somewhere that a way to measure the compressed length needed is to measure the distance between the bump stop and where it comes in contact and subtract that from you extended length. But my bump stops appear to sit about an 8th of an inch away from where they hit. In the video, it showed that specific bump stop was almost as high up as the shock. Is this normal or are my current shocks not sized correctly? All of my angles; cj joints, etc., are pretty horizontal for the most part and the height of the front of the truck matches the back pretty well. I feel like if I went with a much longer shock to add space between the bump stops, it might throw everything out of whack.

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
Yea you can compress shocks by hand. Especially worn ones.

If you can’t compress them with ease. Then chances are they aren’t worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the shocks I need have the loop at the top and bottom, can I get shocks that say they are for the rear because they have loops on both sides or are those a different fit such as bearing size, etc?

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another dumb question- can I just put one shock on each side even though I have spots for two?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I run that kit, just compress the shock and measure.
I ditched the dual setup years ago, no need for 4 shocks up front and alot cheaper.
As for the rattling shocks, mine used to do it aswell, I just bent the outer tabs in so it put more pressure on the bushing to stop the rattling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run that kit, just compress the shock and measure.
I ditched the dual setup years ago, no need for 4 shocks up front and alot cheaper.
As for the rattling shocks, mine used to do it aswell, I just bent the outer tabs in so it put more pressure on the bushing to stop the rattling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help. Yea a few days ago I called superlift and asked if anything would get screwed up if I just took a shock out on either side and he said it shouldn't affect anything so that's all I needed to hear. I took a shock out on either side and it made a world of difference in ride comfort. As for the shocks being loose, i just replaced the 3/8 bolts with 1/2 inch hardware and now they dont move at all.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,230 Posts
Thanks for the help. Yea a few days ago I called superlift and asked if anything would get screwed up if I just took a shock out on either side and he said it shouldn't affect anything so that's all I needed to hear. I took a shock out on either side and it made a world of difference in ride comfort. As for the shocks being loose, i just replaced the 3/8 bolts with 1/2 inch hardware and now they dont move at all.
Yea more than likely they had shocks that are not valved for a dual set up and that is why it rode like ass

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea more than likely they had shocks that are not valved for a dual set up and that is why it rode like ass
Yea I still have no idea what that means but who cares. After this truck, I'm never dealing with a dual shock setup again haha. Anyone have any suggestions for new shocks? Rancho, Bilstein, etc? My budget is around 200 for a pair.

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
Well you should learn what it means...

As it will dictate what shock you decide to buy. Depends on the ride you’re looking for and how much money you want to spend.

But $200 isn’t going to get you much for a set of shocks. Especially long ones needed for a lifted truck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,230 Posts
Yea I still have no idea what that means but who cares. After this truck, I'm never dealing with a dual shock setup again haha. Anyone have any suggestions for new shocks? Rancho, Bilstein, etc? My budget is around 200 for a pair.
Yea why would you want to know that?

It takes 3 seconds to learn. But fuck it I want to look cool and fuck my sister

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,230 Posts
1 shock valved to work as 1 shock. 2 shocks valved to run as a pair. So each shock valved lighter so they run like 1 shock but 2.

Wait that might be too complex for your simple mind.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Silverado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay dude I know that much. You don't have to be an ass. I was slightly joking but maybe "simple minds" don't know what jokes are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts