GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 GMC ex. cab Z71. My gas milage is 12 miles per gallon. I have a 3 inch body lift with 31's. I just had the transmission rebuilt so the gas milage should be better now. What are your opinions on getting the gas milage increased. :bowtie:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Muffler and intake helps out a little but the man thing is what jason said, drive like a old lady...the 2k rule is pretty good (never go above 2k rpm)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
sounds like you could use a tuneup. I would do a new cap/rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and air cleaner, unless they've already been done. Also, is your SES light on? Also, like jason said, drive like a grandma.

I can manage 16 mpg on the freeway with 33's, 3.42 gears, a TBI engine, and 164,000 miles. You should be doing better than 12...

9,786 Posts
I have a completely stock truck on 35's with 3.73 gears and I drive it pretty decently and get 12-13...something might need to be tuned up.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
tune it up. I have 35s, alot of extra weight and 3.73 gears, with the nelson tune, UPD and dumped exhaust I get up to 16 on the freeway.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
willyswanter said:
Drive like an old lady and not a teenager.
:word:
Driving like a typical teenager will have a heavy effect on your gas mileage. I know mine sucks, but its because my heavy right foot :read:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
00Silverado said:
:word:
Driving like a typical teenager will have a heavy effect on your gas mileage. I know mine sucks, but its because my heavy right foot :read:
:word: same here. If I drive like a teen, my gas mileage SUCKS. But, if I accelerate at a comatose speed and keep it under 2k or 70 mph whichever comes first, i do pretty damn good.

yes the nelson tune helps gas mileage. btw...there is a edit button for a reason.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Matt said:
its goes the same for braking, braking gradually or coasting when near an intersection help as well. i think not using your a/c also helps but not using your a/c for at least a few minutes each day isn't the greatest thing to do.
I've heard that using your a/c around town hurts your mileage, on the freeway helps it because of the increased drag. I havn't proved that either way yet. I never use it anyway :crazy: (when I got 16 mpg though I had it on...on the freeway...part of the way...)

·
Registered
246 Posts
lol now thats a good idea, but you should be getting better than that because I am running 36's with only exhaust and I get that in my truck :read:

·
Banned
580 Posts
running your a/c hurts your mileage and its harder on your engine. i have a friend that had a ford bronco and he never ran the a/c, needless to say the thing ran flawlessly and still is through 190k miles and the only things that have been replaced are belts and a water pump. just for the record, last time i towed the mastercraft and used the a/c in the quadrasteer i only got something like 12mpg on the freeway so it does affect mpg.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
93GMC said:
running your a/c hurts your mileage and its harder on your engine. i have a friend that had a ford bronco and he never ran the a/c, needless to say the thing ran flawlessly and still is through 190k miles and the only things that have been replaced are belts and a water pump. just for the record, last time i towed the mastercraft and used the a/c in the quadrasteer i only got something like 12mpg on the freeway so it does affect mpg.

I don't know how its harder on your engine, it runs off the same belt as the alternator. It makes it work harder, but its not necessarily bad for it.

Towing a boat and having the a/c on...and you got 12 mpg? thats pretty good if you ask me...

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
KoTToN said:
get a GF with a mitsubishi eclipse! thats what i did and my gas mileage is great!!!

werd, i drive my g/f's tiburon every chance i get, i'm a ricer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts