GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is a 99 silverado nbs 185k on the clock on a 4.3 Ive always wanted to swap in a v8. But the truck has what i assume are many electrical problems. None of my gauges work. fuel pumps only last about 4 months. The truck shifts right sometimes and then other times its weak or will just tach up and have to let off to shift. The motor and tranny are fine its something electronically thats up.

Its been nothing but a headache for 2 years. I dont want to attempt swapping in a 5.3 and new fuel pump for it to only have more electrical problems. And run like crap after spending loads of money.

I need opinions on what to do with it. ive talked to the bank about finacing a new truck and they want too much since im only 20 and have no credit.

Im to the point that its even crossed my mind to rip everything out and run an old school carb motor. Someone give me some options here. This is my only vehicle and i need it for work.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im scared to do that and still have the same problems. i dont know if that will take care of the electrical. dont want to spend the money and then still be having these problems

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
are you sure you cant trade it in for another truck?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure. The beds been cut out for bags. And it doesnt run as of now. Frame horns cut and lowered for hd clip etc...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i want to a swap but im scared to put the money into it and it still have he same problems because the electrical is fucked

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
i want to a swap but im scared to put the money into it and it still have he same problems because the electrical is fucked
Sounds like computer problems, i would try a lq4 swap with computer/harness and the tranny with the lq4 if you could swing it

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I even swapped in a pcm from another stock vehicle with same motor tranny options. Still got the same problems

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
Really? Wow...thats crazy...you check all your grounds? Motor strap ground also..

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the grounds are tight. It all started all together my original fuel pump died and it took everything else with it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
All the grounds are tight. It all started all together my original fuel pump died and it took everything else with it.
Then something else is causing it, but what? :think:

You have insurance? Throw it off a cliff lol

·
Farmer/Warranty Killer!
203 Posts
6.0 swap or either find a used ls1 if you more worried about just getting it back on the road. not sure what all is intailed in going carb, but my buddy did it on a tbi. i know yours isn't a tbi but its possible. i know you would have to have a manual valve body or so for the trans. like i said im not exactly sure. motor and perf. parts are cheaper too. but i would think it would be that bad? im sure there are alot more people on here that know about going carbed on here more than me but if it were up to me and i didn't want to do the 6.0l swap i would do an actual ls1, but thats just me.

·
Farmer/Warranty Killer!
203 Posts
i think a lq4 and tranny could be got for cheap!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea i thought about an older ls1 motor and i know i could wire it up with a msd ignition and then fuel line setup. But then no a/c etc. Dont know if my wipers and stuff would still work with the original pcm and fuse box relocated maybe.

·
Farmer/Warranty Killer!
203 Posts
you still should be able to have ac. and i dont see how your wipers would be affected?

·
Farmer/Warranty Killer!
203 Posts
if you get the ls1 and harness it should all go back together. what trans do you have?

·
Farmer/Warranty Killer!
203 Posts
you can get a 5.3 with trans and ecm for a truck like ur nbs for 1900? has harness too that was within 15 seconds of searching ebay, but i know you could get a good lq4 for a good bit cheaper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts