GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a 4 link and coil over befor spring.

Need help builting a set up. Not sure of spring rate and shock lenght. I want some thing stiffer than stock spings but not real harsh.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
5.3vortec said:
Looking to get a 4 link and coil over befor spring.

Need help builting a set up. Not sure of spring rate and shock lenght. I want some thing stiffer than stock spings but not real harsh.
Use the KP bolt on 4-link, then make you some mounts for your coilovers. I make it sound easy eh? :lol: I would think you would just make your top and bottom shock mounts have several holes for adjustments, and I would think you would want them mounted as far apart as possible for stability.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to use the KP, I looked at steve's friday and it is a sweet set up.

I was also looking at the CE upper and lower shock mounts, the lower has alot of adjustability. Just not sure on what spring rate and shock lenght. I still want to have about 7 inches of drop in the back.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
I think you can get the Coil Over kit for the rear axle with the weld-on mounts from CE, can't you?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
its a good idea to keep the length of the shocks at 7" instead of the normal 5". the longer travel will be a better idea because its a truck. im going with a 275lb rate spring.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does CE have a website? I was going to go with a 4-link from suicidedoors.com because they build each 4-link to order. That seems easier than trying to adapt the kp 4-link that was made for bags.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
04sierra said:
Does CE have a website? I was going to go with a 4-link from suicidedoors.com because they build each 4-link to order. That seems easier than trying to adapt the kp 4-link that was made for bags.
The actual 4-link part of the KP is designed to use weld on bag mounts on the axle or the canti attachment out back that comes with bag mounts. The 4-link itself should be no different than any other to use with coil-overs or bags..customers choice. The biggest advantage is the KP is going to be a bolt-on application, while either bags or coil-overs would need to have brackets welded on the axle...so i guess its the same either way you go :D

It definately won't hurt or cause any problems running the KP with coilovers instead of bags though :D

·
GMFS Senior Member
1,946 Posts
i used a kp 4-link on mine. bought a coilover kit from chassisworks, which includes, upper mount with tabs, adjustable lower mounts. i have a bridge in mine. welded the cross bar on that. my coilovers are alden eagles with 300lbs springs. has a dampner adjustment and can adjust the bottom of the coilovers also. this is the setup i have found to work the best :head: i can gt some pics if you want also
here's chassisworks link .
here's a pic

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
I've been pondering the Idea of doing this. How does it ride?

Does the coil over setup eliminate wheel hop???

I was thinking of just adding helper bags or switching the coil overs. But coil overs are alot of work and $$$.

How much did the coil over setup run you minus the 4 link and notch??

·
Registered
169 Posts
How did you guys figure the springrate, shock height, and how much of a drop you would end up with? I want something with the equivalent of a 6" drop and would also like to use adjustable coilovers. Should I just contact one of the company's that makes coilovers or a competent drop shop?

·
GMFS Senior Member
1,946 Posts
then part # for the shocks i used is AS655 with a 300lbs spring. i used a 250lbs before and it was a little soft. the 300 lets me carry anything in the back if i want also. i can always ajust the rate also.
4-link $500.00
Alden Eagle coilovers- $400.00
brackets for mounting- about $150.00
i did all the other work myself.
i think the shacks are 14" eye to eye with a 10" spring
since this set up, i have not failed to hook up once and it has one hell of a launch :head:

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Do you get wheel hop accelerating out of turns with the 22's on???

I get it like a mofo, but then again it's a 35 series tire under an empty truck bed.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
yea.. bags really won't help the wheel hop and traction ussue that much..... they are simply made for adjustability and ride, although with the right setup, i guess it could work.

Coil over's are pretty much the best thing for performance suspensions :imo

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
Is most of the stability only because of the 4 link? Would bags also perform as well if not better?
Coilovers are designed with performance in mind(hence thier use on a lot of race cars). Air bags can be set up to perform well, with a good shock and the right PSI in the baggs. I'm a believer in coilovers for an allout performance vehicle. Now if you have the funds a set of front and rear coilovers for the track, and a set of ART Shockwaves for cruiseing and shows would be cool as hell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
04sierra said:
How did you guys figure the springrate, shock height, and how much of a drop you would end up with? QUOTE]

Run as long of shock as possible. The formula for the spring rate is corner weight divided by suspension crush = spring rate. For an example, if the rear of your truck weighs 1500 pounds, it is safe to assume each corner weighs 750 pounds. If you run a shock with 6" of travel, and want ride height at half way thru it's travel ( giving 3" of up and down movement ), the equation would be 750 divided by 3 = 250 pound spring rate. Before you start taking the truck apart, go weigh it so you have a baseline to star with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts