GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working around a road construction site where they are spraying some type of tacky tar-like substance on the road. They say the substance helps the new layer of asphalt stick to the old road.

My problem is this: I washed my truck today(1st time in about 3 weeks) and I notice little spots of what looks like that tar-like substance all over my truck(bumper to bumper) and its real thick on my hood. How do I get this stuff off. I was able to get a little off with a washing pad and a little elbow grease. Will claying help get this stuff off? Anyone know of anything else? Please I could use any help/suggestions. I want this stuff off of my new truck before it ruins the paint.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about rubbing WD-40 on it. Going a section at a time and washing each section afterwards? Will it hurt my finish and/or paint? Will I need to polish/wax it after that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried using a clay bar on my Impala after getting tar all over it from a road construction.

Although it did work, it left a few little scratches here and there from the tar or something in the tar sliding as I clayed. Might have been the way I was doing it, but I gave up.

I went and bought some Goo Gone (sp) and sprayed it on the tar, then wiped it off with a clean rag. After letting the tar soak for a brief period, it would literally start running off the car.

This does of course also take any wax etc. off, so make sure you wash and wax it after you do it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used what little bug and tar remover i had(barely enough to dampen one spot) and it worked good. But what about the WD-40??? Will it hurt my paint/clear coat, will it remove the wax too?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
why do you want to use the wd-40 if the bug/tar remover worked? :think:

just go buy more :imo

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why do you want to use the wd-40 if the bug/tar remover worked? :think:

just go buy more :imo

Just wondering if would work without negative side effects.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It wont really "hurt" your paint, but I'd of course prefer to use a bug/tar remover that is specifically formulated for this task. You should wash after the wd40, and you'll want to rewax. Just seems like a lot of extra work imo. Plus, the b/t I sell on my site, you can always put in your washer fluid tank for a little added kick to help clean your windows :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts