GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sunburnt or Drunk
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys these are some of my progress pics of my new box, i would like to paint it the same color of my truck. but i got a question that might be a stupid one but here goes anyways, what is the best thing to use to get the smooth look? can i just put on a coat of fiberglass resin without any mat?, then bondo and what not. will the resin fill the tiny cracks? i have never done fiberglass work before so im kinda lost here. but if all else fails, i can have it shot with bedliner
Picture021.gif

Picture020.gif

Picture019.gif

·
Sunburnt or Drunk
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, thats the plan, gotta make one more cut to run the wires and keep smoothing,
whifflebat- when you say primer you mean like body filler bondo or rattle can primer?

·
why jonny ringo...
629 Posts
my suggestion would be to make a trim panel out of 1/4 or 1/2" that has a window for the amp, and two holes for the subs, that goes from side to side of your truck, that way you have a mostly flat panel that doesnt require sanding inside corners. also, if you end up not liking it, you dont have to unwire your amp and subs to work on the piece. you could also add inserts and such to give it a different look. as for what to do for painting, i've never tried to get a piece of wood ready for paint, your best bet would be to get some feather fill i suppose (heavy fill primer), and lay it down thick.

I looked at some pics of my stuff, and i guess i had some wood exposed before using my filler primer (pic 1&3) above the radio location.
108-0829_IMG.gif

108-0900_IMG.gif

these are out of order, but i found this one last, shows a lot of the wood beforehand
108-0815_IMG.gif

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
very nice man, I need to do something like that soon

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
hey C-ERA03, that box looks great! how many click of the seat did you lose with that box? what are the dimensions of it? i like the little area in the middle that is open, it looks like it would clear the middle seat just fine, even with an amp mounted to it.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Homer J said:
hey C-ERA03, that box looks great! how many click of the seat did you lose with that box? what are the dimensions of it? i like the little area in the middle that is open, it looks like it would clear the middle seat just fine, even with an amp mounted to it.
His may not be exactly liek mine but mine's pretty close and when I had my middle seat it cleared just fine. I have the floor console in there now it just did fit!

·
Sunburnt or Drunk
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks homer, its 5 in. wide at the top, 8 at the bottom, 14 tall and 54 (i think) long. i only have about an 1/8 inch of space from the speaker magnet to the back of the box so it's about as thin as it can possilby be. you'll have to check your mounting depth on you subs to see if these dimensions will work for you.

well if it fits like it should, then i should only lose one click on my seats. i still haven't test fitted it yet because it won't fit in their till i take my other sub box out of the middle. but i did take Demons dimensions and went a little smaller so in all reality, it should fit. also, i don't have my center console seat right now anyways, sold it a while ago.... Doh!! :nono: so that won't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
what i have done in the past is kinda like what glassman said make a trim peice that goes over the box. i added curves and sweeps to the trim to make the box flow with a single layer of glass and cloth then after some sanding applied a layer of filler, primer then paint

1 - 11 of 11 Posts