GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on what to do for my air tanks. I'm going to run down to the steel yards soon and need to know what you guys think would be best. So far, I've got four options.
1. Buy a premade. I don't know if I want to do this yet as prices are gouged simply on the fact that they are sold with the "air ride" connotation.
2. Make my own. I can buy steel tube and caps and make custom ones, in my dimensions. I just aquired a TIG machine so I have no fear of a poor fabrication.
3. Use a propane bottle setup. Old propane bottles can hold 150 psi safely so this would be a cheap alternative.
4. Fab up a Keg. I've never seen a keg used in air suspension. I know someone already told me that it wouldn't work because of the top valve. If I were to cut that off and weld a stainless plate on over the hole, it would make one bad ass looking tank. Think polished keg in the bed. I'm not sure however how much pressure they could hold but I'd imagine a lot as it is stainless steel and they are made to take abuse. Let me know what you guys think. My dad (who is a master welder) and I will be looking at ways to do this, just want to know what you guys think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
crawl under and check out what you have for space under there if anything...that will tell you if you (assumming there is space) the size and shape of your tank....
mind you I think a keg or two would look very cool too!

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
i think a keg in the bed would look great :rocking:
but... inorder to make sure it is safe it it would need to be presure tested and alot of work may have to be done to get it to work, so it may be a better idea to buy some tanks

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would pressure test the keg if I made it. I'd just fill it up to 150 PSI and leave it for a day or so, if it shows no leaks, all is good. I think I might just try that and see how it works out.

I really don't see any danger in using one if it were clean when I pick it up and my welds are solid. Again, it is thicker than your tipickle tank and it is stainless.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i'd just buy a premade tank... you don't have to buy an ART tank if thats what you meant in your first post.

the keg idea would be cool, but if you didn't have a bed cover... someone might try to take it:read:

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
how about u cut the keg in half and stick a few 5 gallon tanks inside of the keg and weld it back up, and make it look like the keg is the air tank,
so then everyone will think the keg is the air tank and not know that their is a few 5 gallon tanks inside of it

since ur dad is a master welder in all, he shouldn't have a problem welding some round pipe and putting a fitting bug on the end of the keg if the tanks are shorter then the keg in length

just a idea

me and my dad made a keg into a grill to party in the parking lot for football games, we cut it in just about half and made it so that it could open and close
and put a grill in it, it was pretty kool

later

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah if I did the keg idea it'd be bolted down. The only problem I'd see with it being in the bed is me pissing somebody off and them cutting the line in the bed. But that wouldn't work because I plan on running stainless braided hose from it.

I guess I'll just try it. It will be almost free to do except for the bit of stainless plate I'll need and a stainless 1/2 nut to weld on for the bung.

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
my vote would be to get a premae one for now until you get your keg setup done, yeah, it woudl be super ass cool, all polished up, but you'd almost have to find a BRAND NEW ONE, cause we all know what happens to kegs @ party's, i thought a keg was double walled?? it would be cool, but for all the hassle, i picked up 2 8 gallon tanks for $90 bucks

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah I have a near new one in my garage. It's in damn good shape too. Kegs are only single wall.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
I'm trying to decide on what to do for my air tanks. I'm going to run down to the steel yards soon and need to know what you guys think would be best. So far, I've got four options.
1. Buy a premade. I don't know if I want to do this yet as prices are gouged simply on the fact that they are sold with the "air ride" connotation.
2. Make my own. I can buy steel tube and caps and make custom ones, in my dimensions. I just aquired a TIG machine so I have no fear of a poor fabrication.
3. Use a propane bottle setup. Old propane bottles can hold 150 psi safely so this would be a cheap alternative.
4. Fab up a Keg. I've never seen a keg used in air suspension. I know someone already told me that it wouldn't work because of the top valve. If I were to cut that off and weld a stainless plate on over the hole, it would make one bad ass looking tank. Think polished keg in the bed. I'm not sure however how much pressure they could hold but I'd imagine a lot as it is stainless steel and they are made to take abuse. Let me know what you guys think. My dad (who is a master welder) and I will be looking at ways to do this, just want to know what you guys think.

1. Sounds good. Air tanks are cheap, even in stainless steel.

2. If you have the skills and time, go for it!

3. Ghetto.

4. It's been done before and looks stupid, IMO.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes and I'm finding that a keg like I have is only capable of 60 psi before the case breaks. It's supposed to be a saftey feature. Looks like I may be making my own.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's a good/creative idea in theory but the finished product looks to be the work of someone trying too hard to be different, IMO. My vote is for custom air tanks.....:cool:

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
the keg idea is very cool, that is if it flows with the rest of the stylin of the truck. if it doesnt fit right, then its no good :imo .

go for something custom... that usually means one-of-a-kind (aka- no one else has it)

just my $0.02

·
Registered
84 Posts
A keg will NOT work. i looked into this over a year ago. When contacting the companys who make the kegs they told me the max pressure on a keg is 30PSI they sugested cutting it in half and putting a steel tank in the keg and welding. Also go to your local semi repair and get a air brake tank $30-55 depending on how big you want

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I have a keg here that says 60 PSI max. I'll look into the air brake tanks next. I'm already using braided 1/2" air brake line for my flex points.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts