GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 1500 2 wheel drive and the rearend blow. what would it take to put a rearend with disc brakes under it or is it even posible. it is set up with drum now and i am sure that something has to be done with the computer part of it. if anyone has done this let me know what i need to get to do the swap. thanks :big_banana_Dance:

·
Professional Mini Trucker
453 Posts
I read some where that GM used drum brakes forever. Then in 99 when the nbs came out, they tried disc rear brakes. But by the time the nnbs came around they went back to drums. They tested and researched and found that drum rears were the same if not better than the discs. towing, hauling, stopping, simplicity.

At first I thought my truck came with drums because i had the W/T package. but later found out different. I say stick witht the drums and call it good.

But if you did do it, you'd have to use he master cylinder from a disc truck 'cause of the higher pressure going to the rear, different parking brake cables, brake line, etc to start with. not sure on the axles being different widths but it should be the same, and that goes for the spring perches too

1 - 2 of 2 Posts