GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dropspindles001.jpg

dropspindles002.jpg

So we put on the Belltech Drop Spindles today ... for those that didn't read my other post, we had put on a DJM Tie Rod flip to improve my front setup. Well, don't do this if you are bagged (wish I had searched more) .. it gave me horrible toe out. So I'm sending it back.

This left my spindles bored out and useless. So I decided to put on drop spindles, as I planned to probably get 22s soon. I knew that I would lose lift, and my driving PSI would have to go up. And thats exactly what happened.

So now I guess I will have to get rid of my Firestone bags and go to Slams, as I have been told many times over that they will give more lift for the same PSI. Right? :D

·
layin big rubber
1,426 Posts
yes on the psi lift thing with slams

what size tires are those?

i have 4in djm lca, 72 slam bags, stock spindle/uca and bag cups i made myself and i can untuck my stock wheels by 2-3 inches no problem

1,932 Posts
how far away were you from being laid out up front before you put these drop spindals on? I bet money that your bags are not fully compressed when your truck is laid out. this happens when you throw drop spindals on it and it was already close to if not already laying out. and cause its not compressing the bag your losing lift, like the stroke is always the same and well if the bag is 100% compressed when laid out every inch of stroke it all making the truck go up. If the bags arnt compressed when laid out then you are not getting your full potional of lift cause the first 2 inchs of stroke are wasted. I dont know im im making any since to you but hey I try? lol

if you get a wheel thats has a overall bigger diameter you should be able to get alot more lift. Also when your truck is laid out does it take like 60 psi up front to even get it off the ground? Also if you wanna quick fix to get your lift back you can always use bigger cups or spacers up front to help make sure that bags are compressed.

and how did that tie rod flip kit give you toe out? Did you get it aligned at ride high after you got them installed? or just was your problem going threw the whole range of motion it toes in and out to much

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, My truck has always taken about 50 psi or so to even budge off the ground. And now it needs a little bit more. I asked ART if I needed bigger cups, and they said no .. which I though was wrong.

And with the tie rod flip kit I did get toe out and in through the whoel raqnge of motion ... I never had it aligned but the tie rods were bottomed out and could not be adjusted anymore without being cut. I just decided it was not the best route.

This was my suspension compressed before the drop spindles.

bottomedout50psib.gif

And I plan to get 265/35-22s or 285/35-22s .. which would be bigger than my current tires, which are 245/40-20s.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
Yes, My truck has always taken about 50 psi or so to even budge off the ground. And now it needs a little bit more. I asked ART if I needed bigger cups, and they said no .. which I though was wrong.

And with the tie rod flip kit I did get toe out and in through the whoel raqnge of motion ... I never had it aligned but the tie rods were bottomed out and could not be adjusted anymore without being cut. I just decided it was not the best route.

bottomedout50psib.gif

And I plan to get 265/35-22s or 285/35-22s .. which would be bigger than my current tires, which are 245/40-20s.
It looks like that bag can be compressed another 2" or so

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
You aint lying! That was BEFORE he put on 2 inch drop spindals :read: Now that arm is down even lower. Hes losing alot of lift with it.
oh yeah. so it's probably open about 4", and i think they only get like 7" of stroke. so that is only like 3" of lift.

1,932 Posts
oh yeah. so it's probably open about 4", and i think they only get like 7" of stroke. so that is only like 3" of lift.

That god you understand that! :read: :rocking: Look at his sig pic of him laid out and then the lift pic and your 100% right it gets around 3 or so inchs of lift. Yea and now he is getting 22s but the biggest tire size he listed will only be 2 inchs taller than his tires now, which will bring the spindal up 1 inch. so he still will be only getting like 4 inchs of lift. Him and me talked about this in IM for a while. he said he wants to switch to RE-7s and those get 8.2 inchs of lift. so with his new rims and the slam bags it would bring him back to getting 5 inchs of lift which was close to what he was getting before but if he made bigger cups he could get full potential of lift those bags would offer. :read: we were talking about how much lift your truck gets, i told him odds are your bag is just fully compressed and your acually getting the 100% of lift. Im pretty sure after our chat in IM he understands his problem but isnt sure as to how to fix it. I think a whole new upper cut would be the best option for him, what do you think?

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
That god you understand that! :read: :rocking: Look at his sig pic of him laid out and then the lift pic and your 100% right it gets around 3 or so inchs of lift. Yea and now he is getting 22s but the biggest tire size he listed will only be 2 inchs taller than his tires now, which will bring the spindal up 1 inch. so he still will be only getting like 4 inchs of lift. Him and me talked about this in IM for a while. he said he wants to switch to RE-7s and those get 8.2 inchs of lift. so with his new rims and the slam bags it would bring him back to getting 5 inchs of lift which was close to what he was getting before but if he made bigger cups he could get full potential of lift those bags would offer. :read: we were talking about how much lift your truck gets, i told him odds are your bag is just fully compressed and your acually getting the 100% of lift. Im pretty sure after our chat in IM he understands his problem but isnt sure as to how to fix it. I think a whole new upper cut would be the best option for him, what do you think?

Yeah i understand that, I work at a bag shop so i should know that. haha.

He just needs a longer upper cup. Easy way to tell is to jack up the truck and put it on jack stands. Take off one of the front wheels. And jack up the arm. See how compressed the bag gets. it should be compressed more than that. And when he lifts it, it should be able to get passed stock height. Mine gets that high on just air.

My top cup is 5.5" on the drivers side and 5" on the passenger side. And the bottom is just mounted to the arm. Maybe that will give you a refernce. That is on stock spindles.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I was telling Kid Rock GTX, I talked to Air Ride one time about this, thinking my cups were too short, but they said I was wrong ...

I've come to feel Air Ride makes some nice stuff, but are not the best to ask questions about as they seem to go the ""safe" route, not making things that lay frame, things that use slow valves and are more on improving handling then laying frame.

·
layin big rubber
1,426 Posts

bottomedout50psib.gif

my tie rods touch my frame right when i lay out,
djm 4in lca, stock spindle, flipped stock uca, made my own bag cups, slam bag 72, on studded 245/75/16's

does anyone know what size rims are needed to flip the tie rod?
when im at ride height my tie rods are straight tho

have to roll 2 more winters with my studs tho into im out of here

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
wow and i thought my truck didnt get any lift.. i have 2" spindles and 7" slams. On my lower arm the spring pocket was welded up so the bag would mount flush and then i have a upper cup. I dont think it get to bad of lift, at 140psi i can untuck my 22's about 2-3 inchs...

·
Your Neighborhood Jeweler
1,166 Posts
i have your same setup Bill and I have never had an issue with the amount of lift I get even with the 2 inch drop spindles. I'll see if I have a pic of how much lift I get with 265/35/22s in front and ART upper and lowers and mcgaughys 2 inch drop spindles

·
1,166 Posts
this isn't full lift in the front or the rear but its pretty freaking close. i know its tough to see but I am easily clearing the 265/35/22 in front by about 2-3 inches

newpicswith24s058.jpg

·
1,166 Posts
this is abotu as close to full lift as i get cuz I don't like to over extend my shocks, if I did't give a shit I could prolly put some more air in and get about another 3-4 inches.
newpicswith24s056.jpg

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Matt, but don't you have Slam bags? I figured you did ... And do you still have your shocks? I do, but have thought maybe I should unhook them to see if they are limiting the upward travel any.

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Could I see a picture of the front of your truck? I'm looking to paint my extra bowtie and paint my grille shell and leave the middle chrome like you have. Just want to see what it would look like.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts