GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my truck it was so weak it had trouble merging into traffic. I've put several mods onto it, including a blackbear tune, and it's better now but it still just doesn't have the power I want. Any ideas on how to get more out of it?

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Gears would help. They would give it more mechanical advantage since you have heavier wheels.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If you feel your truck is lacking in power I would suggest driving an automatic s-10 with a 4cyl and the ac on.

Then:

Remove 22"s and big mud tires and opt for something lighter and smaller.

And/Or-

Regear to 4.10's.

·
Dsm Master
168 Posts
So as not to be rude. Gears will help a lot. Something in the 3.73 or up to the 4.10 range should be plenty fine. Do you drive mainly in the city or highway? Yes they say that it will hurt your mpg but how much are you losing since the wheels? You will need to have it retuned after the gears. How do you feel about engine internals? A cam and a torque convertor would definately help as well.

·
Dsm Master
168 Posts
OOooh snap from the V6 guy :jester:
I just work with what I have. I have turbo awd Ply Laser (same as Mitsu Eclipse) that I have had for years. It runs 10.80's in the 120's. And no I am not a ricer. I got my 2000 V6 from a buddy's dad for $2000. It runs great and after doing a few upgrades, including gears, I use it tow my AWD on a 18ft C/H and get 17.5 mpg on the highway doing it.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Wouldn't that give me worse gas mileage and less top end?
Nope. Something in the 3.73-4.10 range is probably what you need. You may run a little higher rpms on the highway but it will be more into the optimal powerband of the motor. You will probably see an increase in mileage around town though. The gears have nothing to do with the top end power of your motor either. That 4.8 likes to rev anyways so gears will make that heavy truck seem spunkier.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
The gears have nothing to do with the top end power of your motor either.
Speaking from experience and various other opinions yes they do. Obviously, the point of gears is to increase acceleration. However, most people that swap to a numerically higher gear set will run better 1/4 mile times, yet they will trap at a lower MPH. At a higher RPM numerically lower gears are more efficient.

Have you ever seen videos of the Texas Mile guys and how long it takes them to accelerate? What about when you're on your mountain bike and you start off in 1st gear to get going, if you stay in 1st gear forever you're never going to get up to top speed.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Speaking from experience and various other opinions yes they do. Obviously, the point of gears is to increase acceleration. However, most people that swap to a numerically higher gear set will run better 1/4 mile times, yet they will trap at a lower MPH. At a higher RPM numerically lower gears are more efficient.

Have you ever seen videos of the Texas Mile guys and how long it takes them to accelerate? What about when you're on your mountain bike and you start off in 1st gear to get going, if you stay in 1st gear forever you're never going to get up to top speed.
U understand all that I thought the OP was asking if it would take away from top end power. I was trying to say that gears wont change the HP output from his motor.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
gears is diffinetly a nice upgrade.

·
pro grade member
2,264 Posts
gears would be a good start

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
If I got some lower gears would I have to get my truck re-tuned by Justin?
yeah you would need to..not right away but I would think for it to perform better you would need to, and you would probably get your ABS light, and ebrake light on. Plus your speedo would probably off.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Wouldn't that give me worse gas mileage and less top end?
You will probably have to give up some gas mileage to get more power, unless you want to spend a lot more money -- money that could easily just be spent on gas instead.

Me: 2002 5.3 with 182,000 miles, 3.73, 4wd, original size tires, 40% highway driving, 18mpg summer, 16mpg winter. How's your fuel economy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts