GMC Truck Forum banner

need new engine

11K views 190 replies 28 participants last post by  mgrotel 
#1 ·
ok, i was just planning on having my engine rebuilt but i guess its going to cost quite a bit more than i had anticipated. hit me with my other options as far as crate engines and whatnot. the cost of rebuilding and camming my 350 would be about 2400 bones, so a new crate engine would have to stay somewhat close to that number for me to consider it. thanks for the ideas

#3 ·
anyone know if i can bore out my 350 into a 383?

#7 ·
Well you have to bore it to achieve 383 otherwise you'll have a 377 :D

Anyway, SBC's are SO cheap to build like the Small Ford you could have a good, reliable short block for less than $2k. Cast steel crank, I beam rods, hyper slugs.

#8 ·
im guessing sbc = short block chevy?
i obviously know nothing about engines

#10 ·
You could easily build a 350-383 small block Chevy for cheap. I'd say doing mediocre build, probably $2k. I rebuilt the 170 I6 out of my sis's POS Mustang. That only ran about $1750, and no one makes stuff for 'em. Anyway, SBC = CHEAP BUILD.

Good Luck

Later
Chris

#11 ·
383 = 400 crank and a .030 overbore, just so we aren't confused. Eric gets it.

Whats wrong with your currently? Just bad compression or did you throw a rod through the block or something? Need more info on whats going on.

#12 ·
383 = 400 crank and a .030 overbore, just so we aren't confused. Eric gets it.

Whats wrong with your currently? Just bad compression or did you throw a rod through the block or something? Need more info on whats going on.
well, lets see, engine is ticking real bad when cold, guessing either lifters or piston slap, seafoam did nothing, rislone helped for a while but its pretty bad again.

coolant dissapearing with no external leaks visible, although i dont think its going into my oil, might be leaking into the engine and then getting burned, not sure. so i dont know if its the intake gasket or head gasket.

it has 216k miles on it, did a compression check on 3 cylinders and the pressure ranged from 125 to 175 on just those three, pretty wide of a range.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83464

its probably about time, plus id love to have a cammed 383, :evil:

#13 ·
125-175 isn't terrible, its not great but that doesn't necesitate a rebuild on its own. Ticking when cold could be a couple things, but if it still works I wouldn't stress. Basically all Im saying is oyu don't have to do it if you don't want to, but if you want to ok.

As for the cammed 383 you will need to keep it pretty mild as your injection system isn't going to support a lot of power. You could do the marine manifold swap so you can have true MPFI and replacable injectors but depending it can run you another grand on top of the rotating and short block mods.

#14 ·
Have you considered a Gen III swap? 5.3s are a dime a dozen...

#19 ·
#20 ·
#21 ·
125-175 isn't terrible, its not great but that doesn't necesitate a rebuild on its own. Ticking when cold could be a couple things, but if it still works I wouldn't stress. Basically all Im saying is oyu don't have to do it if you don't want to, but if you want to ok.

As for the cammed 383 you will need to keep it pretty mild as your injection system isn't going to support a lot of power. You could do the marine manifold swap so you can have true MPFI and replacable injectors but depending it can run you another grand on top of the rotating and short block mods.
i pretty much have to tear way into it to find where that coolant is going anyway, thought it would be a good time to overhaul

will the intake and injectors limit what a mild cammed 383 will put out? or will they support a mild cammed 383? i dont want anything crazy and unreliable

#22 ·
#23 ·
I've seen a few ls1 no ebay lately go for 1200-1800 get that do a cam and few other lil mods get the wiring harness and new mounts and it might be doable for like3-4k?
what do you think i should do justin?

#25 ·
i cant afford that shit right now, broke ass college kid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.