GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gonna have the engine out and i want to throw some pistons and a new cam in i want to have the higest compression raito i can on 87 octaine poss 11:1????

here is the DL
2500stall converter rebuilt 700r4
port-polished heads
headers
also any one recomend a good intake manifold?

anything helps truck is used for Daily Driving / weekend muding / sanddune adventures.

3k33me3o7ZZZZZZZZZ95uf33123c0d65a15.gif

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Um, you need to take a deep breath and slow down.

Are you staying TBI?
How much power do you want, realistically?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i got a better look at my engine today. lol yeah i know WHAT?
i just bought the truck and im still finding out all the little things about it.
i got the truck with low oil pressure so im buying a short block to fix the problem.
here is the engine
IMG_2401.gif

IMG_2402.gif

IMG_2403.gif

i was told this engine had 400hp, i took that with a grain of salt, i bought the truck for everything but the engine. i was also told this truck had 15k into it and the more i look the more im beliving it.

the intake is edelbrock
unknow headers
he claimed it had ported an polished heads
looks like its been out of the truck at least once
has a cam already cause its got a slight lope to the idle.
aside from having realy low iol pressure its a solid engine never smokes ect
just after she gets warm the oil pressure goes away, no knock yet.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do you have a real oil pressure gauge on it? It only takes a few PSI at hot idle to move oil......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the thought on the low oil pressure is too much oil clearance in the crank/rod berrings. 20w/50 currently in it. my bet would be main because its not smoking and if it was a rod id be gitting to much oil in the clynder for the rings to control. who knows could be a oilpump issue.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
the thought on the low oil pressure is too much oil clearance in the crank/rod berrings. 20w/50 currently in it. my bet would be main because its not smoking and if it was a rod id be gitting to much oil in the clynder for the rings to control. who knows could be a oilpump issue.

Where are you getting the oil pressure information from?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im getting the oil pressure from the stock gauge im the dash. i start the truck and i have 60+psi after about 30min the pressure will drop to 0 at idle but will go back up if i keep the rpms up.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
lol @ dash gauges. Get a real gauge, then diagnose the problem.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Oh, fuck if I know. Depends on many factors.

Look around online for the specifics of the pump and bottom end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok just hooked up the mechanical gauge and only gitting 11psi at idle and i heard a slight rod knock so yep new shortblock. so i still need sujestions on pistons and cam. anyone?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
ok just hooked up the mechanical gauge and only gitting 11psi at idle and i heard a slight rod knock so yep new shortblock. so i still need sujestions on pistons and cam. anyone?

lol, hot idle or what? I have about 4psi hot idle in one of my vehicles and no issues.

Hell you could just need an oil pump... ideas on the mileage of the bottom end?

If you're going thru the hassle, you need to make a budget out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
took about 30min to drop to 11psi but it is running veary thick oil and at 11psi i could hear a rod knocking so it might be a good rebuilder but not a DD.
the truck only has 120k so im guessing so does the engine. it would cost more to rebuild this engine than buy a rebuilt one from schucks. plus the rebuilt comes with a warrenty. 1yr12k i was just gonna put some pistons in the rebuilt block to up my C/R but this tbi BS looks like it might give me problems. is there a thread on carb conversions? no smog is salem so i dont need that BS

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
took about 30min to drop to 11psi but it is running veary thick oil and at 11psi i could hear a rod knocking so it might be a good rebuilder but not a DD.
the truck only has 120k so im guessing so does the engine. it would cost more to rebuild this engine than buy a rebuilt one from schucks. plus the rebuilt comes with a warrenty. 1yr12k i was just gonna put some pistons in the rebuilt block to up my C/R but this tbi BS looks like it might give me problems. is there a thread on carb conversions? no smog is salem so i dont need that BS

Well what's proper hot idle oil pressure for your motor? It could be 8-15psi man, do more research as 120k isn't much for a bottom end. Maybe the timing is just fucked up causing that knocking. Eliminate all potential issues before you just say fuck it.

Just upping static compression isn't going to gain massive power and if you deviate from the reman short block you're not going to have a warranty with it...

TBI > Carb, it's at least EFI.

If you're sticking with the Gen I motors, I'd go with a 383 man. They're so cheap to build it's not even funny.

Lastly, power is made in the heads. Spending money to port/polish TBI heads is like making a purse out of a pig's ear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts