GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
tell Sloan I said whatup
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of months ago I had my truck bagged. I was told to take it easy and not drag it until I got some skid plate type stuff built under my gas tank and also under the front cross-member. Well I never purposely drug it but through several mishaps my tank has hit pavement and being a 2003 sierra, the tank is plastic. I now have a hole in my tank and a huge puddle of gas under my truck. My options, I think, are to either get a new tank and then put the skid plates on it, or relocate it with a nice lookin fuel cell in the bed. Money is somewhat an issue. Any tips, advice, etc would be awesome. Thanks, Tyler

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have seen some people just raise the tank an inch or so by drilling new holes for the hanger straps I believe. I have never done this but short of getting some sort of skidplate or relocating like you said. I think that is the only other option.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bite the bullet and get a fuel cell if you plan on dragging. If you really can't afford it just have it raised and still put some skid plates on it.

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
I will be raising mine soon and also putting a skid plate underneath it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
mine will be raised when it goes back in but why is everyone raiseing it plus putting a skid plate under it? i plan on doing a skid plate for the oil pan too

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
If you do both, then its just added safety. If you just raise it, then if you run something over on accident or something, you can still damage it. For the low cost of a skid plate under it, id say its worth the safety.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Hole in your tank? It's gone. Time to buy a new one.

Sam, I raised my tank, drug through it, then put a skidplate on it. Even when it's raised the rear of it can still rub.

Here's a picture, it's kinda dark, but you can still see the skidplate on my tank:

Don't mind my bumper, it's a little scraped up. :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
hmmm...

this damn total bag price keeps riseing everyday i dont have it in the shop. i keep finding more and more shit i want done but i guess do it right the first time and avoid the problems...

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
Give me a week or two.....Ill show u a raised gas tank WITH a skid plate. LOL

·
tell Sloan I said whatup
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the skid plates you guys are using for the gas tanks custom, or are there ones out there available? Also, I hope to be getting a raised front cross member soon so the front will sit an inch or two lower. I've only heard of these but don't know where to get them. Anyone nknow anything about these lower profile cross members???

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
groundscraper said:
Can anybody show me a pic of a skidplate for the tank?
I just did. The pic isn't very good, I know, but you can kinda see my skidplate. Here's another angle. It's the rust-colored metal. :D

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Cool, thanks. I plan to raise my gas tank in a week or two, so I'll probably throw in a skid plate too..

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
Well, you're assuming it rules, having no personal experience with it. :LOL: :LOL:

My grandpa thinks static drops rule! :rocking: :rocking:

:LOL:

i think southern style customs in phugerville(sp) texas sells a lo-pro x-member for the nbs i know he did at one time...

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
bcubed said:
KP Components does, $125

I bought mine from southerncustoms since with KP you have to send them yours for them to modify it. This is what Larry (at innovative) told me 6 months or so ago......

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
groundscraper said:
I bought mine from southerncustoms since with KP you have to send them yours for them to modify it. This is what Larry (at innovative) told me 6 months or so ago......
Hmm, that would suck ... wouldn't mind sending it back once I put a new one they sent to me in, like a core .. but would be sort of dumb to have to send yours and wait till they mod it and mail it back :LOL:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
I just did. The pic isn't very good, I know, but you can kinda see my skidplate. Here's another angle. It's the rust-colored metal. :D
Does ur bodyline line up? Cause there it looks like ur bed is tweaked?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts