GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
I got them. smallest available, 52 mm o.d.A socket hardly fits.$24 shipped.
100_0701.jpg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
1-3/4" is the smallest I have seen.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
I need to do this to mine....eventually.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So you guys add them to your 105 amp alternators? Does the stock belt still fit good with this smaller pulley? Im holding off on a bigger alt. because with an efan running and my 900 watt stereo system running, it needs some more power at idle.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
I'm sure they work well, but I'd also think they'd...

a) increase belt wear, due to tighter radius, and...
b) shorten alternator life, due to the greater constant and ultimate RPM

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
So you guys add them to your 105 amp alternators? Does the stock belt still fit good with this smaller pulley? Im holding off on a bigger alt. because with an efan running and my 900 watt stereo system running, it needs some more power at idle.

You just need to purchase a 145A and the OD alt pulley.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I'm sure they work well, but I'd also think they'd...

a) increase belt wear, due to tighter radius, and...
b) shorten alternator life, due to the greater constant and ultimate RPM
true it would seem that way, but ive had mine like this for about 1.5 yrs on a 145A, no problems, if the alt craps out i still have my stock 105 to get around on for a while, and i will just order a higher amp alt, its worth it to not see my volts drop to 12.8 while idling and the e-fans come on, now they only drop to about 13.5 and then go right back up to 14

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Fair enough...I can see it being a less expensive option to replacing a functioning alt. I'd just keep an eye on the belt, checking for accelerated wear.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Fair enough...I can see it being a less expensive option to replacing a functioning alt. I'd just keep an eye on the belt, checking for accelerated wear.

$40-70 isn't much and you pick up FOURTY amps, that's a vast amount.

·
Bagged and Bodydropped
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I like the way this thing is working, when my e-fans kick on it doesn't drop to 10

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
is it a bitch to get the pully off? can it be done while the alt is in place?
yep:shake: i removed the belt, grabbed ahold of the stock pulley and hit the nut on it with an impact wrench. backed it right off. had the old one off and the new one on within two minutes.:jester:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts