GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm in a pickle...

This is a really stupid situation. I already want a new truck. I really dig my k2500...but my biggest beef is that frame! It's puny! I know its pretty strong, but it just gives me so many evil thoughts whenever I look at a new HD. It would probably be foolish to switch it up, the only reason I want an HD is for the beefier frame...

So, do you guys think I should go with a new one in a year or so or just go with what I have? I prefer the OBS cab, and they are super reliable.

If I keep what I have, I'm going to eventually do a disk conversion on the 14ff, and possibly an SFA. Would also beef up the frame (particularly the rear section)

Willys, I know you have alot more experience with these trucks then myself...How do you feel about the stock frame?

One other option I was thinking of is this:

Get a 2500hd frame, d60 front, and 11.5 14ff w/ disk and start building that. maybe put a 6.0 in there as well, and eventually, swap my '97 cab over. Like I said, the only real reason I'm thinking I want a new HD is for the frame. The 350 vortec is a great motor and I might just stick with that and this truck....

Just need some opinions here.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think my mind is pretty much made up...

After all, millions of these things are on the road and in the woods with no real problems...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I dont see why you are so worried about the frame? Do what you want, but its a 3/4 ton so im sure it will hold up just fine. half tons do stuff everyday that people say they cant do, so until it fails I would keep it and drive the hell out of it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use to have a 1/2 ton 4x4 and it held up great. I worked on a ranch, pulled plenty of trailers filled with cattle, and definately ragged on it a few or so times in the pasture :head: . Id keep her.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I don't know why you would wanna trade a truck for just a frame? I have seen some frames broken in half but I doubt you need to woory about that really.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Yeah... strengthen it... um.. what'd they call it back when I raced... Gussetting or something.... :anitoof:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Dude that frame is much stronger than you are giving it credit for. I would be VERY surprised if you damaged the frame. What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing?

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do some pretty hard wheeling (and driving in general, the k1500 in the driveway is evidence), but I never messed up the halfton other then when I rolled it..

Thinkin about starting to look for a d60 and get it completely setup and setting up like a 4 link front and do coilovers.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Whifflebat said:
Frame is the probably the last thing i'd worry about...
:word: I'd bet that you'd mess up alot of other stuff long before you mess up the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts