GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some advice and I know this is the place to get it.

I have an 02 Tahoe, 5.3 with 3.42 gears. The motor runs great and I would love to do a 6.0 swap someday in the future, but not right now. The one thing I hate most about the setup I have is the gear ratio. When I am running on the highway at 75 I am not even running 2000rpm and if I need some power it has to up shift to get into some power. Would a different converter change that?? I tow my 12' enclosed trailer everyday for work and even in tow/haul mode when I am cruising along the rpm's are still to low for my liking. I would also like a recommendation on a cam for the 5.3 to boost the power. I want something that makes good power in the low to mid range, don't realy wind this thing up to much. I am thinking with a cam swap, converter and gear change this will make it feel like a whole new truck. I do have a CAI and am waiting for my Dynomax cat-back to arrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
get 4.10s, and a black bear tune.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If am I running 2000rpm at 75 on the highway, what would I be turning with the 4:10 gears?? I am sure someone has a calculator to figure that out.

Also, what will the Black Bear tune do?? Will it improve the power output from the 5.3 that I have??? Don't know much about the tuning and need to gain some knowledge.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
blackbear tune will be the best bang for your buck. It should wake your tahoe up a good bit. Also for gears i'd run at least 4.30

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Hey guys, need some advice and I know this is the place to get it.

I have an 02 Tahoe, 5.3 with 3.42 gears. The motor runs great and I would love to do a 6.0 swap someday in the future, but not right now. The one thing I hate most about the setup I have is the gear ratio. When I am running on the highway at 75 I am not even running 2000rpm and if I need some power it has to up shift to get into some power. Would a different converter change that?? I tow my 12' enclosed trailer everyday for work and even in tow/haul mode when I am cruising along the rpm's are still to low for my liking. I would also like a recommendation on a cam for the 5.3 to boost the power. I want something that makes good power in the low to mid range, don't realy wind this thing up to much. I am thinking with a cam swap, converter and gear change this will make it feel like a whole new truck. I do have a CAI and am waiting for my Dynomax cat-back to arrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you are really thinking about a cam and converter swap, quit thinking about it im0..thats the route i was going to go. after you do all of that work and spend nearly 1k once its all put in, you will only be at a stock 6.0 power level, and your 5.3 will be maxed out unless you go forced induction..

i picked my 6.0 up for $700 bucks, and with a few mods i will still be below 1k, and have more power then the 5.3, as well as a better starting foundation for when i cam it in the future..

its 100% bolt in. only thing you have to do is swap flex plates from your 5.3 onto the 6.0 since your running it on the 4l60e, not the 4l80e. your trans will hold up to it fine as long as u make sure its in good shape, hook it up with a vette servo and a trans go shift kit, and a larger cooler..as well as getting a Blackbear tune for the 6.0

imo i would do gears no matter what..i have 3.73s in mine and i run right around 2k at 70 and i think that works out good. 4.10s would get me better mpg around town, but i do alot of highway driving so 3.73s are a good mix for me

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to read the sticky on the vette servo, not sure what that does. If anyone wants to give me the short version I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
It wont make you quicker but it'll firm up your shifts a little bit.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
If am I running 2000rpm at 75 on the highway, what would I be turning with the 4:10 gears?? I am sure someone has a calculator to figure that out.

Also, what will the Black Bear tune do?? Will it improve the power output from the 5.3 that I have??? Don't know much about the tuning and need to gain some knowledge.

Thanks
~2300 is what you would be at with 4.10s.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
just gear it to 4.10 and if you arent totally happy, then look into something else, but that alone will make a world of difference

·
3,161 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a gear ratio until you post your tire size.

I'd say gears and a blackbear tune. They will be the easiest and best money spent. Shift kit and vette servo would be a good option to add as well. Don't get a higher stall tc if your towing. A mild cam won't need one. I would do a 6L swap before a cam though or if money allows do them together.

·
Registered
330 Posts
just gear it to 4.10 and if you arent totally happy, then look into something else, but that alone will make a world of difference
Exactly, gears & tune first, if that's not enough you can get a 6.0 or other mods later without breaking the bank all at once.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am running the stock 265/70/16 tire size on the stock wheels.

Ok, so if I would be running 2300 with 4:10's, would a 3.90 gear be a better choice?? What would the RPM be vs. the 4:10??? Just wondering

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey there is a guy in my area with a 4:10 posi rear end out of a 4 wheel drive. He wants $200 for it. Should I get it and just swap the gears?? Not sure if i want to swap the whole rear out. Give me some feedback.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Hey there is a guy in my area with a 4:10 posi rear end out of a 4 wheel drive. He wants $200 for it. Should I get it and just swap the gears?? Not sure if i want to swap the whole rear out. Give me some feedback.
if its from a tahoe, do it...they are set up different because of the coil springs and disc brakes..

if not, it may still be worth it, depending on how much he wants..they would be used gears though

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am running the stock 265/70/16 tire size on the stock wheels.

Ok, so if I would be running 2300 with 4:10's, would a 3.90 gear be a better choice?? What would the RPM be vs. the 4:10??? Just wondering
3.90s would only bring you down around 2200, just put 4.10s in it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the rear end is out of a 4 wheel drive Tahoe and I have a 2 wheel drive. I wasn't planning on using the whole rear, just taking the gears and posi out of it because my crappy 3.42 is a open differential. Will it work???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts