GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by saying I don't have wifi or 3G right now so the search function isn't working. My connection times out before it loads. So sorry if these are repeated questions!

1. I have a 1999 silverado work truck. 4.3, reg cab, long box, 2wd. I'd like to know how to tell what gears are in my truck as I am swapping the rear end out of a 1999 silverado, 4.8, 4wd and want to know which gears are what.

2. I am in need of a box for my truck. Has anyone put a utility body on a half ton? I'm starting a small welding business and would like to be able to keep my mig welder and some basic tools dry and locked up. Bolt a generator to the top side of it, and put a small welders bench on the back. Seen it done 1000 times on 3/4 tons but never a half ton. The box I'm looking at is a 97' reading utility body I can pick it up for $400, it's in great shape just needs to be painted quick, and a new lock cylinder for to of the doors. It's 9' long and is on a 95 f250 the truck isn't a dually and the box only sticks past the sides of the cab about 6" on each side. Generator is only a small 6000 watt generac.

3. Is weight going to be a concern? I'm going to be driving the truck daily, I only travel two or three miles a day and once or twice a month drive about 40 miles "round trip" to a friends house or to town. Gas mileage isn't really a concern.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
RPO codes inside the glove box will tell you what gearing you have.

Weight of the body shouldnt be an issue holding wise, but you may want to step down to a lower gear, you probably have a 3.23, a 4.11 would do you much better.

Holding weight can be helped by an AAL set up or even helper air bags.

Dont forget brakes either tho, to get that weight moving is easy, stopping it always proves to be a bit more difficult, so prepare to upgrade the brakes as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and looked the box over really good, it's in nice shape. My dealer said I have gears that should be fine I'll post what they are later. I'm at work and I have it written down at home. I think they are 3.23s my truck has an option kit that the dealer said includes heavy half ton springs larger brakes and something else. My truck has 5 leaf springs and a helper factory. My dad used it to haul 1 ton of scrap metal and said he didn't really notice it was there except for stopping. I have pulled a 1200lb car trailer with a 3400lb Subaru on it it didn't work too hard and stopping was easy with out trailer brakes. I just had to down shift a little. I think it will be fine.

My other options are buying the truck the utility body is on he wants 700 for the truck with the body. It's a 95 f250 with a 460 and a 4 speed. But it needs cab corners, rockers and a fender plus the whole truck needs to be painted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts