GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bolts that hold my upper a-arm on have streched/stripped and i need to replace them. is this a hugh job? i went to my local tire/suspension place and they wont do it cause of the bags, went to another place and they want $150 w/alignment. and they said it will happen again cause of the bags. when i did the bags i had to heat up these bolts to get the nuts off, could that have weakend the bolts?

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
i could be wrong, but i would think you could just got buy some grade 8 bolts from home depot or where ever and replace them

·
Registered
342 Posts
yup he def can. If you have a tough time finding the size go to a good hardware store, they'll have a better selection. heating them wouldn't weaken them, just an older vehicle, shit goes bad.

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
doesent heat weaken all steel?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Yes, heating them will weaken them. How much? Depends on how much you heat it...lol. I'd bet that it's a pretty good guess that when you heated them you weakened them. BTW, penetrating oil works wonder on nuts and bolts:read:. Much easier and safer than heat.

Cameron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, heating them will weaken them. How much? Depends on how much you heat it...lol. I'd bet that it's a pretty good guess that when you heated them you weakened them. BTW, penetrating oil works wonder on nuts and bolts. Much easier and safer than heat.
we tried that didnt help, i orderd the bolts from lmc truck, when i get them im gonna try to do it myself

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
shouldent be that hard, btw you have a real nice burb, i have 4 burb's here none nice or even running tho

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
BeerMonkeY said:
we tried that didnt help, i orderd the bolts from lmc truck, when i get them im gonna try to do it myself

:word: to what Cameron said. :read:

Did you order replacement bolts or factory style knockouts? A set of bolts will work fine but I would recommend the latter. :bowtie:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well in the blowup pic in lmc it showed regular bolts but i got them today and they are the factory style

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.