GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my stock 3.23s replaced with yukon 4.10s a while back. As soon as I drove off from the shop, I had a very slight whirring noise throughout the RPM range with a howl from 40-45 or so, both on acceleration and deceleration. I took the truck back to the shop to tell them about the noise the weekend after I picked it up. (Got it on a Friday, went back Tuesday). They drove it, didn't crack the diff open to check anything, and told me the backlash and preload is fine, but the noise is likely because the pinion is spinning much faster than the stock one because of the numerically higher gearset. Anyway, this noise is driving me crazy, and I can't help but think its in some way damaging to my gearset. I changed the oil and the gears and pattern looked alright to me, but then again, I know nothing about gears. Are those guys at the shop feeding me BS or is everything okay? I simply don't know if I trust them after telling me everything was fine without looking at it. I wonder if anyone around the Baton Rouge area who has dealt with gears could give me a second opinion, I'm really not looking to spend anymore money on this, but don't want to have a major issue. Sorry for the life story, but thanks in advance.

·
Justin @ A/T Fab
325 Posts
They need to open it and re-check everything. Yukons especially have always been very quiet for me and I have set up hundreds of sets. It sounds like either a bad bearing or incorrect setup.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They need to open it and re-check everything. Yukons especially have always been very quiet for me and I have set up hundreds of sets. It sounds like either a bad bearing or incorrect setup.
The shop refuses to open it up without charging me to look at it. The owner said he checked everything before they put it together, so it HAS to be right. I call BS, and don't know what to do. Honestly, if thats how they're going to work, I don't trust letting them touch it again.

·
Justin @ A/T Fab
325 Posts
Do they have a labor warranty? If so argue that point to them. Any shop should want to fix a problem before it causes a failure they would have to cover. Try to approach it at that angle maybe.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
dude if you got them replaced there not too long ago they need to fix that for you with no charge. My gears were doing the same noise a couple weeks ago, and turn out to be that my gears were all chewed up/bent, and they replaced them for free. So far I havent had any problems, but that noise is the worst. Have you gotten any type of smell coming from the differential?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ sɟɯb
1,791 Posts
What shop so I know where not to go? (maybe via PM)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude if you got them replaced there not too long ago they need to fix that for you with no charge. My gears were doing the same noise a couple weeks ago, and turn out to be that my gears were all chewed up/bent, and they replaced them for free. So far I havent had any problems, but that noise is the worst. Have you gotten any type of smell coming from the differential?
No smell, the differential gets quite hot to the touch after any length of driving though. Like I can only hold my hand there 2 or 3 seconds on the cover. I don't know if that is normal or related to the noise. I don't know about the warranty though. I will call monday and find out.

However, I'm not sure how to make them open it up, everything I describe they say is normal and blow me off, and blowing up in their faces is not an effective way to get things done. I know they will not want to do anything that they're not paid for, and I don't intend to pay them to fix what the screwed up in the beginning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts