GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of putting in Ford Keys and I have both bars unloaded but the torsion bars won't slide at all to remove the stock keys. I have beat the shit with a hammer, pushed, pulled and did just about everything else and still no movement. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Truck is a 94 model 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Had that problem with my dad's truck. We used an air hammer and it worked like a charm.

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
I always keep stocked up on PB Blaster for instances like that. Spray it all up inside there, wait for about 5 minutes, then lightly hit on the top of the torsion bars for the PB to soak in even further with vibration. Wait another 5 minutes, then knock the bars out. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the bars out and one side is done, the puller I am using is maxed out and I only need to go another half a turn and the piece that holds the bolt will be in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is there enough space with the puller to add say a nut between the puller and torsion key?

This could potentially be unsafe, and should only be tried by "trained professionals".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got everything back together...almost put the stock key back in but I stuck a screwdriver under the piece that holds the adjuster and hit it with my hammer and it popped in. I left them cranked a small amount until I get new shocks, which hopefully will be next weekend...thanks for the helps guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts