GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so I'm a little lost. trying to pretty up my truck for the summer, going with a bigger lift and a new wheel/tire combo soon. But one of the things I never liked about the truck was the fender flares. I have a black truck and the fender flares are textured black. So today I was going to take them off and see if I could paint them but now I have an urge to leave them off.

I took them off with a friend and a bunch of dirt and crud a long with sticky residue was left on there. I'm told I won't beable to get this stuff off, what would you guys suggest?... I have pictures but my camera just died.

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
Is it like double sided tape residue? If so wash the truck then use a eraser wheel either on a electric or air drill and remove the residue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Go with wagonproject's suggestion, and then hit it with some compound and polish. If the paint is damaged beyond that, worst case paint the flares and put em back on.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I wish you luck. Most people who remove flares (even after they have only been on for a short period of time) have paint rubbed off underneath.
I know my '06's flares have rubbed some paint underneath.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I think manbearpig only had his on for a few months and they rubbed paint off :(
I noticed mine 3-4 months after I bought the truck. didn't take long at all. But, I do like my flares ( they come factory colormatched ) and I don't plan on taking them off, so I'm not too worried about it.

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
I noticed mine 3-4 months after I bought the truck. didn't take long at all. But, I do like my flares ( they come factory colormatched ) and I don't plan on taking them off, so I'm not too worried about it.
:word: I like mine also. Only reason I'd take them off is to get them painted or if I got the whole truck painted I'd think about leaving them off for a while just to see if I like it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if this doesn't work out the way I want too, any recommendations on what type of paint to use on the fenders? I didn't get time to clean them up so I'm rollin around with a nasty lookin truck, hopefully I'll get them cleaned up or painted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts