GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you all recommend disabling AHL when installing HID's? i did when i put hids in my blazer, but i parked in the garage alot with it so when i started it up, headlights would come on, then once i got outside they would go off.

i just bought 5000k low beams and a relay harness.. determining if i should disable AHL and how its done on a 06 silverado.

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
it'd be a good idea to do so, i'm sure someone has done it on a nbs, due to the fact that there is a write up on a NNBS. Good luck

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
I have a NBS Suburban. I have HIDs and havent had a need to disable the auto headlights. Everything works fine and like it should. I never understood why people have to disable them. :think:

It gets dark, the lights come on. No issues.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a NBS Suburban. I have HIDs and havent had a need to disable the auto headlights. Everything works fine and like it should. I never understood why people have to disable them. :think:

It gets dark, the lights come on. No issues.
same here. i've had hid's for 2 yrs in my truck w/the AHL and it's caused me no problems.

·
Broke
1,169 Posts
Turning the truck on in darkness, then driving out to sunlight?? HID's warming up, only to shut off after 10 seconds....:shrug:

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
I park in my garage, so even on a sunny day with the door open my lights would come on just to back it out to wash it...I dont like my HID's coming on and off.

If you cant remember to turn your headlights on should you really be driving anyway?

I hope you guys never plan on driving a classic car/truck, you wont know when to change the oil, check the tire pressure, turn on the headlights and you might have to physically roll down the window :crazy:

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Turning the truck on in darkness, then driving out to sunlight?? HID's warming up, only to shut off after 10 seconds....:shrug:
I've had the same ballasts and bulbs since 2002. I'll let you guys know when they go out because of the auto headlights.

If you cant remember to turn your headlights on should you really be driving anyway?
Its not about having to remember to turn on the headlights. Its about disabling a part of the vehicles electrical system for no reason.

I hope you guys never plan on driving a classic car/truck, you wont know when to change the oil, check the tire pressure, turn on the headlights and you might have to physically roll down the window :crazy:
I have a Saturn that doesnt do any of that. Doesnt have a oil life indicator. Doesnt tell me tire pressure. Hell my Suburban and Tahoe dont do that either. Doesnt turn on the headlights. Doesnt have power windows, locks or mirrors. Doesnt have an automatic transmission. But its has 300,000 miles on it and is still going strong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I disabled mine over the weekend, everyone has a different story about it hurting the HIDs. I wanted to be able to start the truck without the bright ass HID flicking on.

The guide is great but on my truck the dash is one piece, ton of disassembly to get to that damn sensor.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
I disabled mine over the weekend, everyone has a different story about it hurting the HIDs. I wanted to be able to start the truck without the bright ass HID flicking on.

The guide is great but on my truck the dash is one piece, ton of disassembly to get to that damn sensor.
you should have asked.....you can do it under the steering wheel at the BCM easily on 99-07 classics :read:

Its not about having to remember to turn on the headlights. Its about disabling a part of the vehicles electrical system for no reason.
For me it was a reason, I cant stand crap like that. I dont like seatbelt chime reminders, auto headlights, auto door locks, etc, and I especially hate the AFM (automatic fuel management).

I disconnected the AHL on my 2000 Z71 and I didnt even have HID's.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I did it on mine. Its very easy on 03-06 just had to tap a wire under the dash. I have a tinted windshield so they would come on pretty early in the evening and it was annoying. I've had the same HIDs for 1.5 years and never had a problem. On my 01 i never disabled the lights and either the bulb or ballast would break every three months.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110262

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
its a good idea to. however i have not on mine but my truck is different because it never tries to fire them until its finished cranking. it will not turn them on before hand. its odd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts