GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so before i go out to start fieldwork again in about 1.5months, i was gonna tear the drain out of my shop since its clogged somewhere, and redo it.

It holds about 2gallons of fluid before it starts backing up...my dad told me the smart contractor who did it back in the 60's put a toilet type double "U" on it so smells (confused about why smells would come up from a drain, lol)...anyway, it drains straight into the ground and we wanna keep it that way since it comes in real handy, we dont have to worry about oil, antifreeze, etc. recycling. (only thing we recycle is john deere tractor oil because we get $5/barrell for it from John Deere).

So whats the best method to redo it? i was thinking of: Filling the hole in with bedrock (we did it with out well in the shop and it works great), running a cone type deal that spans the distance of the hole, and funnels to a center center 4" hole. Putting a screen above the 4" hole so if i'd drop sometin i could remove the grate and fetch it out, then running a 1ft deep 4" wide PVC pipe into the center of the bedrock.

Sound good? any ideas or improvements? Another idea?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll draw up a lil pic in photoshop tonight...

Dave

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
down a drain? naw, just goes straight into the ground (bout 20ft deep to be exact)....and we have a water purification system right next to the water outlet from the well.

We have 3 wells for our homstead, 1 in the shop to wash tractor/combines with and wash the floor with, etc. 1 next to the garage for washing our mowers off and watering my moms flowers, etc. and 1 underneath the house for our water supply.

shop is about 200ft away from our house

Dave

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Hey guys, so before i go out to start fieldwork again in about 1.5months, i was gonna tear the drain out of my shop since its clogged somewhere, and redo it.

It holds about 2gallons of fluid before it starts backing up...my dad told me the smart contractor who did it back in the 60's put a toilet type double "U" on it so smells (confused about why smells would come up from a drain, lol)...anyway, it drains straight into the ground and we wanna keep it that way since it comes in real handy, we dont have to worry about oil, antifreeze, etc. recycling. (only thing we recycle is john deere tractor oil because we get $5/barrell for it from John Deere).

So whats the best method to redo it? i was thinking of: Filling the hole in with bedrock (we did it with out well in the shop and it works great), running a cone type deal that spans the distance of the hole, and funnels to a center center 4" hole. Putting a screen above the 4" hole so if i'd drop sometin i could remove the grate and fetch it out, then running a 1ft deep 4" wide PVC pipe into the center of the bedrock.

Sound good? any ideas or improvements? Another idea?

Thanks,
Dave

Those "u" drains are traps, they trap a small amount of water in that "u" to keep the smell of sewer gasses from coming out if the drain, same as the traps uner your sinks in then house. Without them the smell of standing water and whatever other contaminants you're dumping down the drain would come back up. If the trap runs dry (meaning you haven't put anything down the drain in a while) then the smell start to come up the pipe. Those traps have to stay wet.

As far as dumping oil and anitfreeze straight into the ground, especially in the amounts a small farm would with all the equipment they have, you're asking for trouble. It's not just a bad idea for your health in relation to pumping water from the same table you're dumping in, but it's illegal.

It's one thing to miss the oil pan when changing your oil and wash a little down the drain, it's another to just be dumping straight into the ground.

When you redo your drain, I'd suggest having a recycling trough installed that is accessed by a cut off from the regular drain. Depending on size you may have to have the trough collected maybe once a month or less.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
:wtf: dood you just pour that shit into the ground? Man I seriously feel like calling the EPA on your ass...

(no offense or anything, but do you even realize what your doing?)

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
:jester: Fuck mother earth. Right in her flowery ass.

Haha, yeah Dave, that's kinda retarded. If you're going to pollute, at least fuck other people not... yourselves. Like dump barrels of your farm equipment related waste in a playground or nursing home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What you are doing may have been acceptable in the 60's, but is not today.

Used oil contains carcinogens (cancer causing elements) and anti-freeze is highly toxic.

Your filters will not filter either one out. Furthermore, ground water travels far, so you may also be poisoning your neighbors.

I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip on you, just trying to get you clean up your act. What's done is done, but there is no reason to continue doing it.

If someone were to turn you into the EPA, you would be looking at astronomical fines. Also, if and when your dad sells his place, someone is very likely to do a soil test.

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
sorry dude, but reverse osmosis water filtration isnt going to take out oil and antifreeze. You done fucked up.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its been that way since the 60's when the shop was first built...i know its not legal nowadays, but its still legal because it was built before the provisions were in place for it

Same thing as being grandfathered in basically....its not like rediculously large amount, i usually throw an oil pan down there and throw it in a bucket and take it to napa, but for instance when we change out JD 9300 cooling fluids every other year, its 256qts...so buckets fill up pretty quick, so usually 3-4gallons go down the drain when we switch buckets.

As far as are neighbors...you guys dont even wanna know what they burn.....couple of people have called the EPA on them before....they got "smart" and they burn at night now so its hard to see if that gives you any hint..if not, they burn about 30tires every month, we burn like 5 a year if that.

ANYWAY, TO THE TOPIC AT HAND:

What would one of these trough deals cost?

How much of a PITA would it be to install? when you say a trough trap type deal, i think long and im gonna be tearing up a large portion of my shop floor, which isnt gonna happen(because its just not worth it...its 6" thick on the outside, and goes to around 8" where the drain is in the middle of the floor). Could it just be pumped into buckets with a manual transfer pump, or would a recycling truck HAVE to pick it up? What kinda cost are we looking at? I priced the above idea for around $600 with jack hammer rentals, new concrete, rock etc

Could you put a 3way valve on it so straight soap and water from washing machinery/vehicles could just go down the hole since its non toxic?

If prices are halfway similar, or if it could be used as a tax write-off, then im sure my dad would be willing to help with funding.

Dave

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
I'm not up on farming and ranching anymore so you'll have to start checking things local out there. There is legal code for each way of doing things. The deal is, even if your drainage system is grandfathered once it's broken and needs to be replaced you're gonna have to bring it up to current code, you're usually only grandfathered until it needs repaired or replaced. I'd call a home/buidling inspector before you do any work. They'll tell you what's legal, what's right, what you can get away with. Then decide what you're gonna do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
its been that way since the 60's when the shop was first built...i know its not legal nowadays, but its still legal because it was built before the provisions were in place for it

Same thing as being grandfathered in basically....its not like rediculously large amount, i usually throw an oil pan down there and throw it in a bucket and take it to napa, but for instance when we change out JD 9300 cooling fluids every other year, its 256qts...so buckets fill up pretty quick, so usually 3-4gallons go down the drain when we switch buckets.

As far as are neighbors...you guys dont even wanna know what they burn.....couple of people have called the EPA on them before....they got "smart" and they burn at night now so its hard to see if that gives you any hint..if not, they burn about 30tires every month, we burn like 5 a year if that.

Dave
The drain may be legal, but I'll guarantee what you're putting in it is not!

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Used oil contains carcinogens (cancer causing elements) and anti-freeze is highly toxic.
Those carcinogens only work in CA, at least thats what I gather from all the signs that say "This product contains chemicals know to the state of CA to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm." As long as you're off the Pacific Ocean you should be fine.

Seriously though...those shenanigans are like evil shenanigans, whereas ours or happy and fun.

·
nobody liked my avatar
511 Posts
yeah im sure if this one guy stops polluting his drain its gonna save the world...he's probably not doing anything half as bad as what other people are doing..quit gettin all serious on his ass for shit that people do every day

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah im sure if this one guy stops polluting his drain its gonna save the world...he's probably not doing anything half as bad as what other people are doing..quit gettin all serious on his ass for shit that people do every day
Saying it's not half as bad as what other people are doing is bs. Robbing someone isn't half as bad as killing them, but it still isn't right.

If your thinking had any logic to it, then I could post "I go around smashing mail boxes and throwing bricks through people's windows. It's ok, because OKSie22a says it's not half as bad as what other people do."

If as you said people are doing it everyday - we have serious issues. The problem is someone else reads the post and thinks - hey, it's ok to do that. It isn't. It's wrong, and he knows it's wrong. So do you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts