GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2006 crewcab 1500 that I need to replace the u-joints on. I do not know what parts I need, nor do I know where to get them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is a normal 10 bolt in the rear, and everything is stock except for some 4.10 gears. Thanks.

G

·
You planning on doing them yourself? If you head to Autozone or their website, you can look up the joints by vehicle and location.

As for the process...I've done dozens of these things now. I learned how to do it on this site:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/ujoint/

The most important advice while changing them is simply to be gentle when putting them and and be sure that you aren't knocking needle bearings over before the caps are fully seated.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
greasable or nongreasable?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I don't know to be honest, is there a preference of what works better?
Thats what Im asking :D, Im pretty sure the Nongreasable ones are stronger but I dont know

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what Im asking :D, Im pretty sure the Nongreasable ones are stronger but I dont know
Oh sorry thought that question was directed towards me. From what I've seen the higher end ones seem to be non-greaseable, but perhaps someone who knows for sure can chime in.

G

·
Use greasables unless you offroad pretty hard. The greasables are weaker, but they last longer under normal circumstances since you can pump fresh grease in there regularly.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Use greasables unless you offroad pretty hard. The greasables are weaker, but they last longer under normal circumstances since you can pump fresh grease in there regularly.
What would consider hopping the median at Foley's? :crazy:

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
just go to your local o'reillys/autozone/napa and tell them you need u joints. they'll look them up for you. go for the good stuff.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Becareful on just going there and asking for joints. I got the wrong ones 3 times and they were listed for the truck. Look at your shaft and then look at the joints and make sure you get the right combination (note the clips).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Matt I think I just nutted myself. You owe me a clean pair of shorts sir!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
just bought precision greaseable ones yesterday

broke my ujoint on wednesday pulling into a parking spot.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
mines clicking and clanking bad, so the truck is parked until i get it fixed. How bad was the install ben?

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,896 Posts
a vise or press makes this job easy.... if not i use a big socket and a hammer

you will have to have a press to get the stock joints out

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I bought the Harbor Frieght Ujoint/Balljoint kit for like15 bucks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts