GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got back from laughlin nevada for a week had a blast. My problem is my dad and I towed our boats out there and in the hills he was pulling away from me while I was struggling a bit so I need to make some more power. Granted my dad was driving my moms trailblazer ss but our boats are nearly identicle in size shape and weight. I have a 05 gmc crew cab it has a 5.3 with cold air intake 3" cat back exhaust and blackbear tune for 91. what else can i do to gain more towing muscle. I love my truck on the street but as soon as i hook up the boat its a dog. Oh and its lowered 4/6 on 22's Any and all suggestions are appreciated thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budget is not much of a problem other then the wife will freak is i spend 5k on a supercharger in one shot but if i spread it out a couple hundred at a time it will be easier what gears are best for my setup i only tow in the summer months which in so cal is april-october but i do alot of highway driving and want good MPG

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Budget is not much of a problem other then the wife will freak is i spend 5k on a supercharger in one shot but if i spread it out a couple hundred at a time it will be easier what gears are best for my setup i only tow in the summer months which in so cal is april-october but i do alot of highway driving and want good MPG
Put away a couple hundred a month till you can get the supercharger. Blowers are awesome for towing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do they handle the heat? Laughlin gets up to 120 and I run the a/c the whole way
Would a cam and headers help? I am open to switching gear ratio but dont know much about it

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
its probably your gears. I have towed a boat a couple times, and my truck did fine. wheels can be heavy especially 22s. oh yeah get 4.10s

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
an easy/cheap thing to do would be to put your stock tires on to tow but who wants to do that.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
What are your RPO codes? Inside the glove box there will be a bunch of 3 digit letter/number combo....these will start with Gs

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRAC)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How will 4.10's be for daily driving? Is it gonna mess with my gas milage much? I would put the stock tires on but it looks sweet pulling up to the launch ramp :) what about headers will they help with torque

1 - 20 of 42 Posts