GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help in installing 3" rough country nnbs *Pics*

Well I talked too soon and thought I was almost done when I made my tire thread, but I am stuck in the middle of the lift.

I have done everything except for putting the strut back into place. The top mounts fine with the spacer, but the bottom simply wont. The bottom part of the strut that bolts to the point is slighty cocked at an angle, and it will go on if I flip the strut around, but when you do that the bolts on the spacer will not fit into the holes.

So m question is how do I get the bottom bolts to align? And yes I have tried putting a jack under the strut. Please help

·
07SilveradoNoob
1,314 Posts
Did you swap the driver/pass side out?

Or you could bolt up the lower strut end and muscle/swing the top strut assembly up into the upper strut pocket

Or you could put some vise grips on the bottom "bar" and twist/rotate that until its angled correctly

Or you could jack the LCA up to the strut(top mounted loosely) and using a pry bar move the bottom strut around until you can get a bolt started then rachet it on in the rest of the way

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you swap the driver/pass side out?

Or you could bolt up the lower strut end and muscle/swing the top strut assembly up into the upper strut pocket

Or you could put some vise grips on the bottom "bar" and twist/rotate that until its angled correctly

Or you could jack the LCA up to the strut(top mounted loosely) and using a pry bar move the bottom strut around until you can get a bolt started then rachet it on in the rest of the way
Exactly

·
Registered
912 Posts
This is how I did mine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There both the same part numbers though, how do you know what side is specific.

Can you spin the top around so that the bolts are 180 degress what they are now?

The bottom has the angle is the wrong direction and when you swap it out to the other side it is still angled wrong

·
Registered
912 Posts
They are not side specific. It doesn't matter if you switch them from one side to the other or not, you will still have this problem. When you hold the bottom of the strut in place with the pry bar and jack up the lower control arm with a floor jack it will force the lower mount on the strut to rotate to the correct angle. You will probably need another set of hands to do this. It can possibly be done by yourself but is much safer and easier with two people.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just contacted Jon at STP and he said I can put a screwdriver in the lower mounts and spin it. Ill post pics when done, thanks

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
You better have a pretty stout screw driver. That bottom strut eyelet does not like to move. You need just enough to get the bolts started into the LCA.

Once you get the bolts started you can tighten them down and the bottom of the strut will turn to sit flush with the LCA.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys its all finished except for a few minor things!!

Pros:Everything fit exactly as planned
Heavy duty upper control arms were great

Cons: Directions sucked
Spilt out a lot of front diff fluid when grinding it down
Came with 6 extra bolts, 8 washers, 8 nuts?

Ok, so I still have 6 grade 8 bolts that I do not know what to do with? Also why did the rear block kit come with clotter pins?

And I am very worried because my passenger side control arm is 1/2 inch away from my coil body, and on the drivers side it is like 1 1/2 inches away....Any help?

Also my kit only came with 1 grease zerk for the control arms, and I needed 2...

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
Wtf....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

yea...big time fail. Im not happy with this

Im thinking that once the lift settles it will solve the near rubbing issue on the coil. It doesnt rub, but it is damn close.

I just want to know what clotter pins in the rear are used for....

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
not sure. hopefully my install goes smoother tomorrow.

·
07SilveradoNoob
1,314 Posts
Cotter pins go on the UCA/knuckle castle nut.

My kit also had the same issue with one side coil being closer to the control arm-- after alignment it should have sufficient clearance. Mine actually rubbed the coil when the wonderful person at Firestone Auto(never go there for alignment) left the control arm mounting bolts loose. . .

Call RC and tell them to express a zerk fitting out or pay a couple dollars for your trip to the auto store.

ALPINE: What did you end up getting?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cotter pins go on the UCA/knuckle castle nut.

My kit also had the same issue with one side coil being closer to the control arm-- after alignment it should have sufficient clearance. Mine actually rubbed the coil when the wonderful person at Firestone Auto(never go there for alignment) left the control arm mounting bolts loose. . .

Call RC and tell them to express a zerk fitting out or pay a couple dollars for your trip to the auto store.

ALPINE: What did you end up getting?

Yea ha they gave me two pins in the front kit, and then two pins in the rear. I think my kit was a lemon, they just threw in a bunch of shit. Ok thank, that makes me feel better about the alignment.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
People make mistakes and add extras or forget to put necessity parts. Its all Human Error bro. No one is perfect and neither is a mass produced kit. Glad you got your kit on. Get and alignment and roll out!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
People make mistakes and add extras or forget to put necessity parts. Its all Human Error bro. No one is perfect and neither is a mass produced kit. Glad you got your kit on. Get and alignment and roll out!

I know, I was kinda freaked out after the lift was on with all the extra parts. Its all good now, I just called up RC and my new grease zerk will be here monday, so I guess I shouldnt drive it till then then alignment.

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
Im glad you got it all together. Sorry about the kit having extras and one less grease sert.
I guess RC got you all taken care of. If not, let me know and Ill get you taken care of.

Definately get it aligned first, but you can drive it a few days without the sert. Shouldnt hurt anything.

Thanks Again!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts