GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks again to 'JuicedSSS' Jordan for coming up from NC to give me a hand with this thing, We've been friends for a long time, looks like I have a 402 to help him put in his SS Silvy soon :shake:. anyway.. if you have any specific questions about how its all put together let me know, I'll be happy to answer them...
It went on my FLT level 5 4L65E, vacuum modulated, and with the Sonnax servos.

-onto the pics...

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could definitely do a writeup if you guys wanted but these are the only pics I'd really have to work with.... These are the only ones we stopped and took... but if you guys want one, I can certainly hook you up once I have time to sit and do some writing...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Looks sharp :imo

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Sure seems like a more robust connection along with having a higher volume capability. Ive been annoyed with barbed fittings, hose clamps and flared hardline alot here, going to barb and ferrule AN fittings along with a more abrasion resistant hose might be a very good investment. Good thinking.

So you got those blue anodized 1/4IF to -6an to adapt the threaded holes in the transmission(what was your source, Earls?) and then 2 90* -6an reusable barb/ferrule fittings, what hose did you spec?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Dumping the stock heat exchanger???

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure seems like a more robust connection along with having a higher volume capability. Ive been annoyed with barbed fittings, hose clamps and flared hardline alot here, going to barb and ferrule AN fittings along with a more abrasion resistant hose might be a very good investment. Good thinking.

So you got those blue anodized 1/4IF to -6an to adapt the threaded holes in the transmission(what was your source, Earls?) and then 2 90* -6an reusable barb/ferrule fittings, what hose did you spec?
the fittings in the case were installed by FLT before I got the trans back but you can get them at any hydraulic shop. its a pretty common NPT-AN adapter fitting. Summit, Jegs, etc... also has all the ones you would need. From there, Its 2 45* steel swivel fittings, into the hose. I had the hoses made with straight fittings to begin with because I didnt know exactly at the time what all it would require. The way I have it here seems to work out well. The hose is mil-spec -6AN aircraft hydraulic hose. Its a rubber core, then a braided steel sleeve, then the braided nylon you see there... its really beefy, and suprizingly flexible for what it is, you can see it coiled up there... and it will bend even further. the ends where it connects to the cooler itself were wrapped up in some heavy duty electrical tape and cut with a P-grinder, since I dont have AN hose cutters. it worked well, and after the cuts, we just peeled off one layer of tape to reveal a fresh layer and connected it to the cooler using 2 Stainless Steel hose clamps on each side. I yanked and jerked on it pretty good and it didnt budge. I also smeared some Hi-temp permatex on the nipples prior to me sliding the hose on, so I know the seal is 100%.... I hope this helps out, let me know if there's anything else you need. This setup wouldnt be hard to replicate at all.

Dumping the stock heat exchanger???
Yep, What you see here, is what you get. I've driven it in traffic, cruised on the hwy, beat on it stop light to stop light with the 3600 converter in it and even brake stalled the shit out of it once or twice and it had not gotten over 170* at any point... and that was only for a minute, once it heats up, this system brings it back down to around 150* pretty damn quick. The added volume over the stock steel shit helped out a ton. it required almost a full quart more when I filled it up this time from the entire system being bone dry, to operating level. I kicked around the idea of keeping the radiator in the loop and all but I will never be driving this truck in a climate that cold. If someone wanted to keep it in the circut though, it wouldnt be more than a couple more fittings and a little more hose. I probably have almost 7 feet of hose left over from this little project. I couldnt be happier with the way this cooler setup performs... :D

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim... I'm just glad it went in so smoothly...

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Will the 1/4 NPT to -6 AN adapter work with the 4L80-E, or is the 4L80-E's fitting a different size?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts