GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck it had the stock 88 chrome Chevy grille. I put a billet insert in it, but it still didnt do it for me.

So I decided to pick up an 88-93 GMC paintable grille shell and billet insert to replace it. Also picked up new sidemarkers.

Yesterday I sanded it down, taped it up and painted it along with the bumper filler and front smoothie bumper. I havent seen a 88-93 GMC grille painted in any pics before, so I taped mine off the way I wanted. I dont know if its the same way everyone does it, but oh well, it looks TIGHT. I left some black around the headlight bezel area and such.

Pics will be up in a couple hours. But let me say that the fitment of the non-OE CKResto grille was pretty damn good. The billet insert had interference on the two upper, outermost mounting points, b/c of plastic supports in the shell, but the other 4 bolts more than keep it sturdy. From what I can tell from my old Chevy grille, even an OE grille would have had that interference.

However, it fit right in place. The mounting holes lined up good and it fit snug against the truck. You can tell its not OE if you look, but honestly for $75 it's well worth it, versus the $300 OE shell. Sidemarkers fit good, bumper filler fit good. I was pleasantly suprised to say the least, after hearing the horror stories of aftermarket grille shell fitment.

So now the front end is updated to what I finally like. No 94-98 for me. I'd rather have the depth of the old lights up front. So, the truck looks awesome, I just have to get some pics for you guys, lol. Not gonna lie though, since its my DD, the painted front end makes me worry a tad about rock chips.

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres the pics. Color is Blood Red Hot Rod Flatz, in case any one is wondering. Cab is ready for paint, just need to finish minor spots in the jambs and get the materials (tape, paper, etc.) and a free weekend to knock it out.

Out with the old:
IM000108.jpg

In with the new: Dont mind the dirty hood. And I've been considering a wiper delete, or at least billet posts or something.

This is the fitment issue. A slightly larger gap than OE.
100_0169.jpg

100_0172.jpg

100_0170.jpg

100_0168.jpg

100_0167.jpg

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
bout time to get them wheels on, eh!

·
Registered
17 Posts
looking real good !
I prefer the pre 94 grill also.

Is that a "Pecision billet insert" ?

I am in the middle of installing one in my 93 also. The mounting brackets dont seem right, and my grill is OE. If this is the same one then I dont think your problem was the aftermarket shell at all.

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH yeah, wheels are coming soon! I've been saying that for 3 months, lol. Hopefully though, for real, it'll be soon. Big show in October, I'm trying to have it ready to enter in it at least.

And yes, it is a Precision Grille. The problem I had was with the two outermost top mounting brackets. There are supports/gusset style pieces on the inside of the shell that keep the brackets from lining up a full 90 degrees with the top of the shell. I just rotated them as far as they'd go and tightened them up. I did not put any screws through the outer top two moutning points. Only the inner 2 top ones. It holds fine though. And you can never tell, plus the 2 screws visible when you pop the hood looks pretty clean, as opposed to 4.

It really makes me wonder if Precision even had a grille to reference when they made the fucking insert. I mean a little research could have put those mounting points .5" either way and it would have fit like a glove.

And I love the pre-94 grilles b/c of the depth the 4 lamp setup has. I mean, the 94's look tight, but I just prefer the 88-93.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, I have the exact same problem with mine.
There is just no way the upper outer 2 brackets are going to work.

But my bottom 2 brackets are a good 1/2" short from the shell also. :pissed:

did you have any problem there also ? If so what did you do ?
I called "precision" and told them about the problems, I let them know a $35 ebay grill mounts better !
I expected better quality

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iceman, a fella at my work is buying hte old one. He's got a W/T model hes going to put an quad lamp setup on. If it falls through, I'll hit you up though.

And yep, the bottom mounts were a tad off as well. At first I had the top mounts secured lower than they should have been, so I loosened them up and maxed them out. Then I took a pair of sidecutters and wrapped the bottom mounts in tape, and then slightly bent them down, but where they could still accept the screw with no problems. My tabs looked to have a funky angle to them. With them bent, it did not pull the shell up any, but you can notice it sits flush at the bottom of the billet grille and slightly low at the top. I'm guessing you might could use small washers as spacers and just use some longer screws as well though. Damn, wish I would have thought of that while I was bending the tabs down!!!

I probably wouldnt order a Precision Grille again, but I didnt know it was that brand either when I ordered it. I'm guessing CKResto only sells Precision.

My old Chevy billet grille was a $100 Style Line grille, and it fit alright, but I just couldnt get the front angle to match the curvature of the grille shell. No matter I did it wouldnt line up. So at least this Precision matched the curve well. I'm guessin there are gonna be problems with all aftermarket billet grilles. I dont know why though, it would seem they could get one to fit right with all the technology we have today, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts