GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon have to replace my original brakes after having 90K mi. Three questions:
should I do all of them at the same time, meaning front and rear?
Should I let the Chevy dealer do it and get GM brakes again?
Should I get aftermarket brakes and if so which ones are the best and what do I have to expect to pay for them?
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I picked up front pads for mine for $40 from carquest, made by Raybestos, good name. Had them on since...uh..spring break, no problems and no squeaks so far. If the rears are worn out too, replace them. Be a good idea to check out that stupid drum parking break thingy that GM thought was such a great idea, although I can't remember how.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd go aftermarket, it'll be cheaper...

Raybestos or Wagner pads I'd used with great success, I recommend those. They were like $60 for the rears on my Z, so probably about the same for the fronts. These have a lifetime warranty too. Stop quiet as can be, very low to no dust, etc. Good pads!

If you need rotors, there was this place over on LS1tech selling them.. all 4 new ones for like $300 shipped or some killer price. "Wholesale something" was their name. Hell I think for $30 more it came with pads too! Worth checking out. PM 99silver5.3 as he still dwells over there and could probably dig up some info on them.

I'd consider rebuilding your calipers if you're not too lazy. lol A rebuild kit is like $30/axle. New seals, dust boots, etc.

Stainless lines are kickass! I have them on my F150 and it stops better, but the pedal is MUCH better. Not mushy at all. Very nice! Earls makes a kit for our trucks... 28A640 should be the part number. They're around, just gotta do some searching and asking.

Lastly a good flush and quality DOT 3 and you're good to go... aside from checking the rest of the system, parking brake shoe adjustment, repacking the bearings, etc :shake:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts