GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got and 07 classic dmax that im wanting to do some paint matching to. my question is those of you that have kept ur chrome bumper and painted how is it holding up? shoud i go that route or get a primered one ready for paint and where would u recommend? do they make a top cap that is hd/smooth? any advise or help is greatly appreciated thanx!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
They do not make a hd smooth cap that I'm aware of. Going to have to sand your stocker down.

·
Formerly White_Stealth
861 Posts
IMO, coming from a guy that's painted a ton of chrome, just go to certifit or keystone and pick up a paintable front bumper. I believe I paid less than $100 for the last one I got, and it's a lot easier, and more durable than painting over the chrome. As for the top cap, I'd suggest starting with something like 180g on a da and stepping it out all the way to 800g followed by red and then grey scotchbrite.

Try to get all or most of the texture out with the coarse 180g, once that's done step up to 240g, followed by 320g, 400g, 600g, and finally 800g. Finish it out with red or grey scotchbrite wet. Then it's ready for adhesion promoter and a good quality primer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO, coming from a guy that's painted a ton of chrome, just go to certifit or keystone and pick up a paintable front bumper. I believe I paid less than $100 for the last one I got, and it's a lot easier, and more durable than painting over the chrome. As for the top cap, I'd suggest starting with something like 180g on a da and stepping it out all the way to 800g followed by red and then grey scotchbrite.

Try to get all or most of the texture out with the coarse 180g, once that's done step up to 240g, followed by 320g, 400g, 600g, and finally 800g. Finish it out with red or grey scotchbrite wet. Then it's ready for adhesion promoter and a good quality primer.
thanks for the help!! ive been looking for new primerd bumpers on rockauto other sites like that but are more expensive then $100 is the cerifit or keystone brand names or something? link to them? also lil off topic but want to get new door handles was thing bout the doorman kind on rockauto any info on those as far as quality?

·
Formerly White_Stealth
861 Posts
Yeah, they've got stores all over the country, search certifit.com and type in your area code, and it'll show the closest one to you. I just dug up my invoice and I paid $94.50 before taxes for the bumper I got from certifit.

No clue on the door handles, I've always used oem handles.

·
066Litre
25 Posts
Do what this guy said, just sand them down real good to get them smooth, then scuff it, then primer/paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts