GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new muffler for my truck just wondering what size inlet and outlet to get? I think im just gonna go with a Flowmaster 40 too. And if it makes a difference its a NBS V8 I dont know if sizes are different in years or engines.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ADyingDevotion said:
Looking to get a new muffler for my truck just wondering what size inlet and outlet to get? I think im just gonna go with a Flowmaster 40 too. And if it makes a difference its a NBS V8 I dont know if sizes are different in years or engines.
You want loud, deep, and mean? or mellow and deep?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Flows suck for power, I have one and can't wait to be rid of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had 3"in/out 40's classic series on my 383 '73 GMC and that was awesome,......but now on my 2000 4.8L I have a single 3.5"in/out 10 series DeltaFORCE 6" long race muffler. It's even better than the twin 40's. It's loud, agressive, tuned, and deep, however it's not annoying at all. People think I have a souped up 6.0L. Heres a pic......It seemed like I gained some HP&TQ too.

Attachments

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
I have the same muffler as SITNLO, and it is everthig he said it is. But :imo its not loud enough.

Heres a pic of my setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well the sound you will produce from your exhaust will vary from truck to truck using the same muffler. there are a few mods (like headers) that will tweak the sound. not much but will tweak. that being said, this is the order from quiet to loud based on experience and customer feedback. remember from the most quiet to the loudest (all relative):

magnaflow/jba -> Gibson -> flowmaster (most series) -> corsa -> borla

skipping a few brands here.....

I have had each on my vehicles. I have had Magnaflows on 3 different 5.3L Vortec engines and they are almost stock sounding at idle. No resonance and will make a little rumble @ WOT. Gibson is a little louder but still on the quiet side which is perfect for some people. I like the flowmaster 50 series delta-flow. I currently have this one on my '04 5.3L. I have had Corsa on my corvette and another truck. Was a nice sounding but sometimes found the resonance a little much. kinda expensive also. Borla's are loud. At least most I have heard. I currently have Borla's on my corvette. resonance is terrible but sounds sweet @ WOT. Very expensive and not sure they are worth the money. I have a good friend that has Borla on his Chevy Avalanche. Swert sound but he also complains about the resonance.

Hope this helps a bit......

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
ill agree. the corsa is definatly loud. sounds mean as hell.

but for the loudest out there, get a dynomax bullet. its not bad in the lower RPMs, but when you get on it its like having no muffler

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
ADyingDevotion said:
Silverado if you had to choose again what would you pick then?
If I had to do again (and I probly will redo it) I think I would opt for the dynomax bullet because I want it louder. This is just my opionion and I like loud shit. I think the 40's sound really good also, but it all depends on what you are looking for.
SITNLO said:
SILVERADO:::: is your 3.5" too?
No 3".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.