GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the truck made the 500+ haul to Oklahoma with no issues (this was the farthest Id taken it siince all the work). Latley when I come to pull onto my street and into the parking lot I hear are an odd noise coming while Im on the accelerator. At first I thought it was the Driveshaft or something in my driveline going out, but it stops when I get off the gas. Kinda freaking me out, like Im worried the rearend is going out or something. Its like a loud screech/squeek/creak (Like an old squeeky wheel of a Red Flyer Wagon going around). Its hard to explain. Im having a hard time identifying it. It happened once a few days ago, then the next day it didnt do it (drove the truck all day) until I pulled back into my place. Its fucking weird. I hate makeing these threads. So flame on. Maybe someone knows what nonsense Im talking about.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,895 Posts
pinion bearing....... did you change the gears yet?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pinion bearing....... did you change the gears yet?
Nope, the axle swap has been put on hold due to the move. So that sounds like a pinion bearing huh? Fuck my life.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I need to get on it then. I still cant figure out how to remove the god damned axle shafts from that mother fucker!!

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,895 Posts
i never pulled the shafts out with a g80 in but i know with a true trac its easy.... there is a retaining clip that holds on a like big washer that holds a spacer in b/t the axle shafts... you push in the axle shaft pull the c clip and then pull it out....

if its making a winding nouise while on the gas and stops when you let off it sounds like a pinion bearing to me.... alot of stress with 37s.... my bearings will not last in my 10 bolt with the 38s

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never pulled the shafts out with a g80 in but i know with a true trac its easy.... there is a retaining clip that holds on a like big washer that holds a spacer in b/t the axle shafts... you push in the axle shaft pull the c clip and then pull it out....

if its making a winding nouise while on the gas and stops when you let off it sounds like a pinion bearing to me.... alot of stress with 37s.... my bearings will not last in my 10 bolt with the 38s
Its the 14SF im having problems with. I cant figure out how to get the retaining pin/bolt out to remove the cross shaft so I can push the axle shafts in far enough to get to the c clips. Its an ARB Air locker. I called ARB, and they were no help.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,895 Posts
maybe call randys..... or ask Brian( axist6) or stephen(a/tfab)

i'd have to see it to maybe figure it out

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yep thats probably what it is. My 1999 Camaro SS did the same thing (for a LOOOOONG time mind you). It would only whine when i was on the gas, once i would let out it would go away, and then one day i hit second gear really hard and it grenaded. It might last for quite a while. My motto is dont fix it till its broke!

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping Id have a little more time before this fucker started going out. The damn tires have only been on for 5K miles and its been a street queen since I knew it wouldnt handle any abuse.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ehh you will be suprised at how long it lasts that way, just need to make sure you have the radio turned up., and if it breaks just throw it in $wd and limp it home...LOL

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess Ill start back up on the Axle swap. All I really need to do is finish getting the axle shafts out so I can remove the old Drum backing plates and put the new Disk backing plates on. Mount up the Calipers and rotors and check for any clearance issues etc. Fill up the diff and run the new brake lines. Then swap her over.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I had the time off to take a 3 hr trip Id head up there to give ya hand.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
So flame on.

Ok. I will.... Goddammnnn you bitch a lot

:crazy:

On a more serious note, same shit happened when my axle went. It was due to a shitty gear install. Had to replace it all. Fucking sucked. You got the U-Joint right? Get started on getting the new axle put together so you wont have to worry about any more. If you were closer I'd help you out...

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had the time off to take a 3 hr trip Id head up there to give ya hand.
Ok. I will.... Goddammnnn you bitch a lot

:crazy:

On a more serious note, same shit happened when my axle went. It was due to a shitty gear install. Had to replace it all. Fucking sucked. You got the U-Joint right? Get started on getting the new axle put together so you wont have to worry about any more. If you were closer I'd help you out...
Thanks guys, this couldnt have happened at a better time though. I got 3 more weeks off so I can take my time and get the axle all set up before I actually tear apart the truck. I think Ill do the axle and the coilovers at the same time.

·
GMC Owner
1,534 Posts
Are you sure its not just a u-joint or slip yoke?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Thanks guys, this couldnt have happened at a better time though. I got 3 more weeks off so I can take my time and get the axle all set up before I actually tear apart the truck. I think Ill do the axle and the coilovers at the same time.

Sweet. Take lots of pics... your truck gives me a woody

Are you sure its not just a u-joint or slip yoke?
He just got a brand new u-joint for the 14sf swap, so it would essentially be pointless to replace that now. It honestly sounds exactly like what happened to mine.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet. Take lots of pics... your truck gives me a woody

He just got a brand new u-joint for the 14sf swap, so it would essentially be pointless to replace that now. It honestly sounds exactly like what happened to mine.
I will. It just sucks now that I live in an apartment complez :suicide: .. I cant work on my truck in my own driveway anymore. So now I HAVE to goto the Auto Craft Shop on post. FML

·
Registered
293 Posts
I will. It just sucks now that I live in an apartment complez :suicide: .. I cant work on my truck in my own driveway anymore. So now I HAVE to goto the Auto Craft Shop on post. FML
I know that feeling all to well! My apt complex has gotten on to me on a few occasions for drinking beer and doing small projects on my truck in the lot.

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
that fuckin' truck has got it in for you man..fighting you on everything....good luck with the swaparoo..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts